Office 2003 Windows 7 Compatibility Issues (Macros) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have a new Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit machine, and I just set it up with Access 2003 and Word 2003. Both Windows 7 and Office 2003 are fully updated (Office SP3).

I use custom templates and macros for my work environment.

When I try and use any of my macros from Word or Access I encounter a variety of strange problems. For example, in Access, the macro no longer displays the information with a white background, but instead with a black one.

These templates and macros all worked fine on Win XP Pro.

I placed my templates in the User/Appdata/Microsoft folder where I usually put them.

It seems like all of my macros are messed up in some way.

System Info
    128GB SSD
    2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo
    Nvidia 9400m
    2GB RAM
    Windows 7 Professional (32-Bit)
    Office 2003 Professional

Thanks,
    Josh Berlin
    Friday, November 6, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Office 2003 SP 3 works with Windows 7 [ http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=Office%202003&results=50 ]

Looks like an issue with your system.

Try the following
    1)Try to use the macros from another location - e.g. D:\Macro [which is a non-os drive] or a folder under '%ProgramData%' [This would be hidden]
    2)Repair/Reinstall Office 2003.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Thanks for the post. Please have this link from Microsoft Support for your reference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923618

This article describes about the Office 2003 SP3 fixes that went in and also known issues.
    Looks like you can try reinstalling office 2003 with SP2 and see if you can continue using the macros with Excel and Access.

Veeresh

Friday, November 6, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for the ideas!

I tried all of the things above and none of them worked. I am running the exact same version of office 2003 on another Win XP machine and accessing the same databases as I am trying to on the Win 7 machine from that computer. 

I tried uninstalling and installing with SP2. - Same problem encountered.
    Then I updated to the newest patches - Same problem encountered.

Basically in Word and Access it seems like they are either reading the templates improperly or modifying them. I have tried making them read only and moving the location of them, but to no luck.

I'm starting to think its a Windows 7 issue. 

If this is the case, this is a big problem for my business, because my business centers around these functions of Office. 

Unless I can fix this issue, I'll be sticking with XP for the longterm.

Thanks,
    Josh
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Thanks for your patience. Please could you use this link to setup the templates and check if this could help.
    http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenotesupport/default.aspx

Veeresh

• Proposed as answer by Veeresh-H Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Josh Berlin Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:57 PM
  • What am I supposed to look at?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, November 20, 2009 3:39 AM
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:57 PM
  • I am also experiencing problems with my database in Access 2003 with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have Service Pack 3 installed.

The database works great in 2007.

IT seems like no one can offer a workable solution.
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:46 PM
  • I was able to fix my problems with the Access Database by switching my windows theme to Windows Classic and turning off User Accounts Control.
    • Marked as answer by Josh Berlin Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:30 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:30 PM
  • I seem to have the same problem as you with MS Access Office 2003.  Our network has been running Office 2003 professional on XP for a long time without problems.  We just replaced a workstation that is a 64 bit machine running Windows 7.  The databases all run okay on the XP machines but on the Windows 7 machine the macros do not run proberly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, March 21, 2011 7:39 PM
  • It appears I'm having the same problem. I have legacy code that uses VBA to build a Word document. After closer inspection it appears that the code uses a template. I'm sure it's an older template that might be incomatibile now that we have upgraded to Windows 7 and Office (Word) 2010. When the program runs Word will, 90% of the time, not open although WINWORD is running in the task manager.

What should I do to make the template compatibile, or is that possible?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:28 PM