Change the amount of time the printing icon in the Notification Area persists in view? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there are way to change the amount of time the printing icon in the Notification Area persists in view? 

For example, when you print something and the behavior for this icon is Show icon and notifications, the icon persists in view for 60 seconds and then disappears.  Could that persistence be changed to say 30 seconds?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:51 PM

Answers

• From the MSDN video about the Windows 7 UX, I believe the notification timespan is hard-coded... I don't think an app can be longer nor shorter.  The UX Guidelines mention the default time and don't mention a way to change it.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by sejong Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:42 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make it easier to focus on tasks, under the "Adjust time limits and flashing visuals" section->How long should Windows notification dialog boxes stay open?, you can set the different time span among 5, 7, 15, 30, 60 and 300 seconds.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  The setting you mentioned controls how long notification dialog boxes stay open.  I am asking about notification icons.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 11:24 AM
  • From the MSDN video about the Windows 7 UX, I believe the notification timespan is hard-coded... I don't think an app can be longer nor shorter.  The UX Guidelines mention the default time and don't mention a way to change it.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by sejong Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:42 PM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:35 AM
  • With that in mind, it might be depended on the by design system settings or software programming.

A program that adds an item to the notification area loads SHELL32.DLL into its own process space and calls a SHELL32 function named Shell_NotifyIcon. To tell EXPLORER about the proposed new icon for the notification area, this function sends a window message to the taskbar window and waits for a reply.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:31 AM
  • Thanks.  I marked your reply as helpful and As Answer
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:42 PM