My laptop freezes up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running Win7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1.7601 SP1) on a Dell Latitude E6510. A technician acting on behalf of Dell installed a new mainboard in it yesterday, in the hope that this would cure the random reboots it has been suffering from.

Well, in the fairly short time that's passed since then my laptop hasn't rebooted at it's own initiative. Instead, it now freezes up suddenly. No BSOD, no error messages, no warning - it just suddenly goes stiff. The only input the machine then appears to respond to is a long press on the power button (hold for 4 seconds, and it powers down; I guess this means the BIOS/CMOS is alive, but I may be mistaken).

My problem now is I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue or something else. No dump file is being generated either (I've had a look in c:\windows\minidump but found nothing from after the mainboard transplant).

I feel I have some reason to suspect USB hardware or driver may be at the root of this. Prior to the motherboard replacement I occasionally would simply lose the USB mouse - it stopped responding, as if not plugged in, and plugging it in or out then wouldn't work, nor did it seem like Windows detected any USB state changes when doing so. This happened many times, and was always followed by a BSOD when I eventually shut down Windows (except of course if the machine just suddenly rebooted itself for no apparent reason!) reporting BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. Unfortunately (and inexplicably!) the BSOD doesn't report any of the bug code parameters, so I can't know if it was the driver or hardware that failed. However, I found another post from someone using the very same laptop who had got his minidump inspected, and the conclusion there was clear: hardware failure.

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/da-DK/w7itproperf/thread/6b7c29fc-2f76-4c66-b8f4-86fec3e7a0eb for that other Dell Latitude E6510 post.

Just counting yesterday and today - after the new motherboard was installed - the machine froze up 5 or 6 times; the last of these is now 5 hours ago. I believe, though I can't be sure, the reason I have now had 5 hours without problems is because I disconnected the USB mouse and am now using the touchpad. I'm slow with it, but it beats freezing up all the time!

Could you please suggest how I can properly diagnose the problem? My company (Avanade, we're actually partly owned by Microsoft) does have a service agreement with Dell, so if only I could figure out where the problem lies it should be possible to get it fixed fairly quickly.

Sincerely,

Dag

• Edited by The Dag Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Dag,

Since changing the new motherboard, the freezing lasts. I recommend you contact DELL for more help. They're more professional on this.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:23 AM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:38 AM