Drill Down RRS feed

• Question

• Newbie to ProClarity (coming from PPS):

What reasons could there be for drill down being inactive on a chart? 

Also, can you only drill down based upon the hierarchies associated on the axis?  In other workds if I had a chart of 'Amt Sold' over 'years'; if I drilled down to a month of interest could I then drill on a different hierarchy (say 'Sites')?

Any documentation you can point me to would be great.

Thanks.

Monday, September 15, 2008 8:23 PM

All replies

• Drill down could be inactive because you're at the very bottom, "leaf-level" of the hierarchy.  There is no data below where you're at.  You can drill down on all axies - foreground, and background.  But, what it sounds like you're describing is a cross-drill.  You've created a view, but now you want to filter it based on a different hierarchy that's not included in the foreground at the moment.  Try right clicking on a member in the chart/grid and checking out your drill down options - they should be populated with all the other hierarchies.  It is just like moving the current hierarchy to background, moving the newly selected hierarchy to the foreground, and seeing just the data you want. 

I recommend the training here:

http://www.microsoft.com/bi/products/proclarity/proclarity-training.aspx

-Joey

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:33 PM
  • If you are accessing the view from PPS, you are a bit out of luck because the cross-drill feature is only available when you are in full PAS Web Standard or in the Professional Client.  This is one of the unfortunate oversights Microsoft made in integrating the products.  In the ProClarity Dashboard product, there was a link/icon that allowed you to open the view in a separate window so that you could do further analysis using the full Web Standard client.  Assuming you are fine with your users downloading and using the Web Professional, there is an icon on the view's toolbar (globe with ProClarity swoosh) that will launch the Web Professional.

-Jason

BTG Services

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Issue was that the chart had a measure as the row and the column did not use a hierarchy.  made column hierarchy and can do a single dimension drill down/up.  I still can't figure out how to do a cross drill.... customer is using the web for display. 

I had the user place a hierarchy dimension in the background - but did not see how to drill on it.  Nor how to switch the dimension from the back to the front.  I'll review the training site you sent, in the mean time - any qucik answers?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Did you find an answer for this?  Should be able to use the Data Layout tab and do a "Drill Down To..." action, and then choose the hierarchy you want to drill into.

Monday, October 6, 2008 11:40 PM