desktop application focus policy ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I recently converted my system from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 with a clean install. One thing that really bothers me is what I call the Windows "application focus policy". Did it change somehow since Windows 2000? When I exit an application, focus always reverts to the desktop instead of the most recently focused remaining running app. Why oh why? An application can be maximized and dominate the screen yet still not have focus. How is this useful? I stumble over this all the time. Windows 2000 never did this.

The only time I want the desktop to have focus is when all apps are minimized or there are no apps running. Is there a way to tweak this behavior (with something like TweakUI) to the way I want, or do I have to write an event monitoring utility myself and do it the hard way? 

--tom

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:55 PM

All replies

• There any many third party tools avaliable online which do this. Although sadly this cannot be changed manually.
    Professional In Computing - Please Contact for Help. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by zhen tan Monday, January 23, 2012 7:51 AM
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:08 PM
  • Thanks for replying Vishdafish.    You mention there are some third party tools that will do this.   Could you give me some links?   As you could imagine this topic is difficult to search for using keywords like windows, application, focus etc.   -tom
    Monday, January 23, 2012 7:19 PM