none
Two basic questions about MIM RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help me with the following question as I am just starting to learn MIM

1) If I want to sync users between two separate AD forests, does the OU structure in the target forest need to exist in advance. For example if I have an OU in the source forest called Corp-Users with several user objects under it and I want to keep these is sync with Core-Users in a separate target forest, will MIM create the OU as part of the sync or not? 
    Or is that not what MIM should be used for e.g. should it only be used to sync attribute information between objects that already exist in the other forest (data source) ?

2) Do I have to install SharePoint with MIM, in particular is I only want to use say PAM with MIM and that is all. As SharePoint is a big product with lots of code so it increases the attach surface (e.g. more code more chance for an exploit) 

Thanks all

JoJacksons

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi JoJacksons,

1) You can sync OU:s aswell, and use Hiearchy provisioning to dynamically and automatically create OU objects in the destination AD. It's all a matter of implementation

2) Yes, you have to install SharePoint if your want to use the MIM Portal. You can still use SP2013 Foundation, to avoid license costs.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoJackson Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi JoJacksons,

1) You can sync OU:s aswell, and use Hiearchy provisioning to dynamically and automatically create OU objects in the destination AD. It's all a matter of implementation

2) Yes, you have to install SharePoint if your want to use the MIM Portal. You can still use SP2013 Foundation, to avoid license costs.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by JoJackson Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:16 PM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:55 PM
  • Thanks very much for the reply Leo, much appreciated 

It is a shame you have to install SharePoint just to use say MIM/PAM as the whole point of PAM is security and the mode code you have running (services, codes, ports) the bigger the attach surface. Not to mention looking after another product.

Cheers

JoJacksons

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:16 PM
  • The SharePoint 2013 Foundation is what most of us use.  You will want to download and install SP 2013 SP1 and install a critical security update with it too.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Sunday, March 4, 2018 3:39 AM