USB Media fails to install OS on SSD RRS feed

• Question

• This issue is completely bizarre and wondering if anyone has any ideas.

I have several MDT Media installations, which are used for USB flash drive based offline deployments - where no connection to the LAN is possible, such as a remote user.  All these media installations were working successfully until they starting failing to install the operating system.

At the stage where the TS attempts to apply the image using the imagex.exe /apply command, the task would fail with an error popup:

imagex.exe - System Error

"The program can't start because API.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Attempting to run imagex from the tools directory results in nothing.  For example, entering "imagex.exe /?" just returns the command prompt with no reponse.  This is an x86 boot image, so attempting to run imagex from the x64 tools directory results in an error about OS architecture.

There are also no real indicators in the logs.  BDD.log just states that the imagex command line failed and provides the return code of 5624, which is an imagex command line failure.  

"FAILURE ( 5624 ): -1073741515  0xC0000135: Run ImageX:  /apply "D:\Deploy\Operating Systems\Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64\MDT-REF.wim" 1 C:"

"Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005"

SMSTS.log states that there was an unknown error:

"Failed to run the action: Install Operating System.  Unknown error (Error: 000015F8; Source: Unknown)"

Through troubleshooting, determined this issue only occurs on laptops with an SSD or SSD hybrid drive.  The weirdest part is that it only occurs when using one type of USB flash drive.  

The image installation fails using my Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 USB 3.0 32GB flash drive, but the exact same task sequence is successful when deployed using my SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB flash drive.  We've also successfully run the task sequence using some no name USB3 drive.  All flash drives are formatted in an identical manner.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?  Unfourtunately, I have 40 of the Kingston drives to send out to remote users for the Win8.1 deployment....

Thanks for reading!

-Ryan

Friday, May 2, 2014 5:38 PM

Answers

• Well, for future reference, in case this ever happens to anyone else:  this appears to be an issue with this specific USB flash memory - for whatever reason.  No idea why and, frankly, I don't care.

ISSUE:  The task sequence would fail at the Apply Image stage with the following ImageX error "The program can't start because API.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

CONDITIONS:  The error occurred during offline media deployment using a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive on systems with SSD or SSD hybrid drives, OR on SATA drive systems when using USB 3.0 ports (marked with 'SS').  

• Failed using x86 or x64 boot images
    • The exact same flash drive would work in models with SATA drives, in ports without the 'SS' label
    • Other model of flash drives, with identical content (via robocopy /MIR) worked successfully in all machines, including the previous generation DataTraveler G2.
    • All systems could deploy the exact same content via PXE

Possibly it's a USB 3.0 conflict, as I believe most of the newer systems with SSDs only have USB3 ports.

There was no way I was going to rebuild a working deployment share mid-rollout.  I just ended up using WMI to remotely evaluate the specific drive on each asset and provided an alternate USB flash drive model to the users/computers that were potentially problematic.  An extra few hundred bucks well spent.

Happy deploying.

• Marked as answer by Ryan_F Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:25 PM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:25 PM

All replies

• Wow, if imagex.exe does nothing, meaning crashes, then yes, that's a problem.

I would un-install the AIK/WAIK from your deployment share machine, and re-install from scratch.

Then re-build the MDT deployment share from scratch.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, May 5, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Well, for future reference, in case this ever happens to anyone else:  this appears to be an issue with this specific USB flash memory - for whatever reason.  No idea why and, frankly, I don't care.

ISSUE:  The task sequence would fail at the Apply Image stage with the following ImageX error "The program can't start because API.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

CONDITIONS:  The error occurred during offline media deployment using a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive on systems with SSD or SSD hybrid drives, OR on SATA drive systems when using USB 3.0 ports (marked with 'SS').  

• Failed using x86 or x64 boot images
    • The exact same flash drive would work in models with SATA drives, in ports without the 'SS' label
    • Other model of flash drives, with identical content (via robocopy /MIR) worked successfully in all machines, including the previous generation DataTraveler G2.
    • All systems could deploy the exact same content via PXE

Possibly it's a USB 3.0 conflict, as I believe most of the newer systems with SSDs only have USB3 ports.

There was no way I was going to rebuild a working deployment share mid-rollout.  I just ended up using WMI to remotely evaluate the specific drive on each asset and provided an alternate USB flash drive model to the users/computers that were potentially problematic.  An extra few hundred bucks well spent.

Happy deploying.

• Marked as answer by Ryan_F Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:25 PM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:25 PM