none
how to add new os entry via BCDEDIT ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi friends.

i am familiar with bcdedit but i have a problem:

i installed win2008 R2 in drive C: & then installed win7 in drive D: . then for test purposes i deleted win2008 entry from bcd using bcdedit /delete command. now system doesn't show win2008 in boot menu and directly boots into win 7.

now in win 7 i run this command  bcdedit /create /d "windows 2008R2" /application osloader

but noting happens & win2008 is not added to my bcd & boot menu.

have i missed any required steps or commands ?

thanks in advance

Saturday, October 19, 2013 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi john.s,

You can examine with Visual BCD Editor the contents of BCD.

On left pane all existing loaders are listed (as well as all other objects in BCD).

A loader for Windows 7 / 2008R2 is shown below:

VisualBCD showing Windows 7 efi loader

(Please note that image shows EFI loader. ApplicationPath for BIOS loader is \Windows\system32\winload.exe)

Elements that must be present:

ApplicationPath, ApplicationDevice, Description (text for boot menu), OSDevice and SystemRoot. Other elements are optional and if missing have default values - for example locale defaults to en-US.

To be shown in boot menu one additional element must contain the {GUID} of the loader - DisplayOrder element in {bootmgr} object. DisplayOrder is a list of loader IDs and make up the boot menu. (Instead of the GUID the Description of the loader is shown to the user by boot manager when displaying boot menu).

Usually bcdboot fixes wrong loader entries.

Maybe you have to delete the partial entry for 2008R2 you have created. (click on loader and select "Delete")

Visual BCD can create loaders automatically (using F9 key) by scanning all accessible partitions and adding a loader entry if an OS found does not have a corresponding loader entry in BCD.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Use EasyBCD program that make editing an easy task. (Some vrsions are free.)

HTH

Milos

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:52 PM

All replies

• The issue is that you haven't pointed the entry to the location where Windows Sever 2008 R2's files are located.

Try this:

bcdboot C:\Windows

where C:\ denotes Windows Server 2008 R2 installation path (may appear as D:\ from Windows 7). This will add the entry to the BCD store. Once done, restart the PC to check the changes.

Balaji Kundalam

Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:47 AM

HTH

Milos

Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:52 PM
  • The issue is that you haven't pointed the entry to the location where Windows Sever 2008 R2's files are located.

Try this:

bcdboot C:\Windows

where C:\ denotes Windows Server 2008 R2 installation path (may appear as D:\ from Windows 7). This will add the entry to the BCD store. Once done, restart the PC to check the changes.

Balaji Kundalam

hi , sorry for delay.

i ran my command: bcdedit /create /d "windows 2008 R2" /application osloader 

then ran your command bcdboot d:\windows   & restarted my computer

no result. again only windows 7 exist in boot menu & computer directly boots into windows 7.

any help please ?

i wonder why microsoft doesn't present any obvious solution for this simple scenario in its books

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:39 PM

HTH

Milos

hi. thanks for reply but i want to do that via cmd.

i need one or probably two simple commands to restore my win2008 to boot menu.

i wonder why peple don't answer. it is not a sophisticated scenrio

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:41 PM
  • "i wonder why microsoft doesn't present any obvious solution for this simple scenario in its books"

I typed in 'bcdedit' as the search parameter on TechNet and the first thing returned is the BCDEDIT Reference, a downloadable document.  It gives lots of examples.  You have to interpret them for your specific case.  Secondly, help is available by typing bcdedit /? at an elevated command prompt.  Don't try to run bcdedit from an elevated PowerShell shell as it does not work.  It has to be in a command prompt.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Hi john.s,

On left pane all existing loaders are listed (as well as all other objects in BCD).

(Please note that image shows EFI loader. ApplicationPath for BIOS loader is \Windows\system32\winload.exe)

ApplicationPath, ApplicationDevice, Description (text for boot menu), OSDevice and SystemRoot. Other elements are optional and if missing have default values - for example locale defaults to en-US.

To be shown in boot menu one additional element must contain the {GUID} of the loader - DisplayOrder element in {bootmgr} object. DisplayOrder is a list of loader IDs and make up the boot menu. (Instead of the GUID the Description of the loader is shown to the user by boot manager when displaying boot menu).

Maybe you have to delete the partial entry for 2008R2 you have created. (click on loader and select "Delete")

Visual BCD can create loaders automatically (using F9 key) by scanning all accessible partitions and adding a loader entry if an OS found does not have a corresponding loader entry in BCD.

Sunday, November 3, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi john.s,

thanks a lot
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 3:41 PM
  • i can't access my boot menu .... and i want to enable virtualization for android studio emulator .... can u tell me the detailed way to do it using visual bcd .... i have win 8.1 64 bit

Thursday, January 15, 2015 8:07 AM