Exchange Management Shell question RRS feed

• Question

• I want to find the total size of voice messages (.wav files) received by all users. Is it possible through management shell to collect the data??

I would really appreciate if anyone help me to find this out.

Thanks and Regards,

Nitin

Nitin
    Friday, December 9, 2011 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think we may export all the message which has wav attachment to one certain mailbox. We may create a new mailbox which is dedicate for all those exported messages.

Get-mailbox -Database "youdatabasename" | export-mailbox -attachmentFileNames "*.wav" -TargetMailbox "Mailbox"

After that we can use Get-mailboxstatistics with -TotalItemSize for that dedicated mailbox to find the size of all those messages.

If you are using Exchange 2010, then you can try to use Search-mailbox ...-SearchQuery "attachment.wav" and then check the ResultItemSize

Xiu Zhang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nitin02 Monday, December 19, 2011 10:40 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:05 AM

All replies

• On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 19:12:28 +0000, Nitin02 wrote:

>I want to find the total size of voice messages (.wav files) received by all users. Is it possible through management shell to collect the data??
    >
    >I would really appreciate if anyone help me to find this out.

You'd have to use EWS and more than just the normal cmdlets to get at
    the messages and their attachments.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Hi,

I think we may export all the message which has wav attachment to one certain mailbox. We may create a new mailbox which is dedicate for all those exported messages.

Get-mailbox -Database "youdatabasename" | export-mailbox -attachmentFileNames "*.wav" -TargetMailbox "Mailbox"

After that we can use Get-mailboxstatistics with -TotalItemSize for that dedicated mailbox to find the size of all those messages.

If you are using Exchange 2010, then you can try to use Search-mailbox ...-SearchQuery "attachment.wav" and then check the ResultItemSize

Xiu Zhang

• Marked as answer by Nitin02 Monday, December 19, 2011 10:40 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Hi Xiu,

Thanks for your reply. I am using Exchange 2007. The above command help me to find the total size of .wav attachments.

Thanks,

Nitin

Nitin
    Monday, December 19, 2011 10:40 PM
  • Glad to hear it works now. :)

Xiu Zhang

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:59 AM