none
[Solved] DPM Secondary Server issue. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 DPM servers, both with 30TB of storage and plenty of room on the OS partition.
    I succesfully have been 'replicating' several protection groups for a while now to the secondary server.

I've recently created a new protection group for Sharepoint 2010.
    On the primary sever backups are created succesfully.
    The Sharepoint 2010 protection group on the secondary server doesn't feel like replicating from the primary server.

It shows the following error:

The replica of SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\SPprdSql\prd_config(SHAREPOINT2010.SERVER) on PRIMARY.DPM.SERVER is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

Change journal not initialized or is the wrong size (ID 30118 Details: The volume change journal is not active (0x8007049B))

Recovery point creation jobs for SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\SPprdSql\prd_config(SHAREPOINT2010.SERVER) on PRIMARY.DPM.SERVER have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 1.
     If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

How can I fix this?

• Moved by Parag Agrawal Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:46 AM Sharepoint protection issues (From:Data Protection Manager)
    • Edited by A. W. Raeven Friday, October 22, 2010 7:28 AM
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:00 AM

Answers

• I've solved the issue:

On the Primary Server I changed the Replica Volume & Recovery Point Volume for the Sharepoint Farm object.
    I've set both to 20GB.

New values:
    Replica volume: 20,00 GB allocated, 2,56 GB used | Recovery point volume: 20,00 GB allocated, 6,89 GB used

Previous values were:
    Replica volume: 11,49 GB allocated, 1,91 GB used | Recovery point volume: 12,71 GB allocated, 3,75 GB used.

This has solved the issue.
    Really strange issue/solution if you ask me.
    The documentation isn't clear on this either.

Oh well, I hope someone else will benefit from this threath as well.

• Marked as answer by A. W. Raeven Friday, October 22, 2010 7:27 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you made any changes on your SharePoint enviroment? Does your primary DPM work ok? If so, stop the protection on the secondary DPM server and enable it again. In the error it says that your change journal is alterd, so you must modify the protection group.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi Robert,

There haven't been any changes on the SP enviornment.
    The backups are running smooth on the primary server.

I've tried to re-create the Protection Group on the Secondary server, this now gives me the following error:

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for SharePoint Farm Sharepoint Farm\SPprdSql\prd_config(SHAREPOINT2010.SERVER) on PRIMARY.DPM.SERVER for following reason:
     (ID 3170)

DPM cannot continue secondary protection of this datasource because of insufficient disk space on its replica volume on the primary DPM server (PRIMARY.DPM.SERVER). (ID 32662 Details: There is not enough space on the disk (0x80070070))

Doesn't make sense to me, the amount of data is less than 5GB.
    There is over 15TB of storage left on the primary and secondary backup volumes.
    Also the OS partitions of both DPM servers have +40GB of free space.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Arnoud.

Friday, September 24, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Hi

Have you tried modifying the disk allocation for the protection group and allocating more space for SharePoint farm, in your case around more than 5 GB for both replica and shadowcopy volumes?

Regards

Guru.

Monday, October 4, 2010 9:04 AM
  • I did, afterwards it again gives me the same error as I mentioned in my 1st post.
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi Arnoud,

Can you go to the Primary DPM server, Epand the protection for SharePoint and higlight the SharePoint farm item. Can you check the replica volume allocated and replica volume used and make sure that you have over 600MB of available space on that volume.

If you don't, expand the volume and attempt creation of the replica on the secondary again

Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi Danny,

On the primary server it says:
    Replica volume: 11,49 GB allocated, 1,91 GB used | Recovery point volume: 12,71 GB allocated, 3,75 GB used.
    Looks good to me?
    Shoud I configure anything in the DPM agent on the primary server? (as I had to do on the Sharepoint Server?)

Regards,

Arnoud.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Hi

Is your VSS showing on the SharePoint server? What happens if you delete all the information on the secondary DPM server regarding the ShrePoint backup, does it work or do you recive the error 32008

BR

Robert Hedblom

Monday, October 11, 2010 1:02 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean with "Is your VSS showing on the SharePoint server". Can you clarify this?

I can succesfully delete the Sharepoint protection group on the secondary server.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Anyone?
    I also can't find any info on how to set this up correctly.
    Does anyone have any documentation on this issue?
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Hi

Have you attatched the sencondary DPM server with the primary. If so, can you see the workloads protected by the primary DPM server? That is your SharePoint farm.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi Robert,

Yes I have attached the Secondary to the Primary server.
    I can see the workloads on the Primary server.
    Other backups from the Primary to the Secondary server are working fine, it's just the Sharepoint backup that doesn't seem to be willing to go.
    See posts above.

I checked the workload on the Primary Server from the Secondary server, what results in the issues layedout above.

Hope someone can provide me with the golden tip!

Regards,

Arnoud.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:16 PM
  • Hi Arnoud!

Please verify your rights on the DCOM objects. It's important that the secondary DPM server computer account is listed in the Launch and Activation Permissions.

Go to START \ type dcomcnfg \ Expand the Component Services / Computer / My Computer /DCOM Config. Right click the DPM RA Services and choose Properties. Click security and edit button verify that the secondary DPM server's computer account has fully rights.

Look at my blogpost regarding this: http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com/2010/08/dpm-ra-rights.html

Get back with info so we can continue.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 12:39 PM
  • I've solved the issue:

On the Primary Server I changed the Replica Volume & Recovery Point Volume for the Sharepoint Farm object.
    I've set both to 20GB.

New values:
    Replica volume: 20,00 GB allocated, 2,56 GB used | Recovery point volume: 20,00 GB allocated, 6,89 GB used

Previous values were:

This has solved the issue.
    Really strange issue/solution if you ask me.
    The documentation isn't clear on this either.

Oh well, I hope someone else will benefit from this threath as well.

• Marked as answer by A. W. Raeven Friday, October 22, 2010 7:27 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 7:27 AM