IE 8: changing the browser background color. Can it be done? RRS feed

• Question

• I use a browser for hours each day and eventually my eyes hurt.  The white background is hard on the eyes. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Look at this page and observe how much of it is "white"). Is there a way I can permanently change the browser background -- for all sites -- from white to something softer, like gray?

TIA,

Barkingdog

P.S. Clearly, I'm talking from a user perspecitve. The average user doesn't have time to fiddle around CSS or the like and they aren't good end user solutions anyway

• Edited by edm2 Monday, September 13, 2010 10:50 PM edit
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:47 PM

Answers

• In rightclick Desktop->Personalize there is High Contrast selection which you can use and vary anything you see from Window Color settings. In Internet Explorer Tools->Internet Options->
    General Tab->Accessibility you can choose to ignore font sizes & colors.

Wondering if in this mode my response will be visible.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:12 PM

All replies

• In rightclick Desktop->Personalize there is High Contrast selection which you can use and vary anything you see from Window Color settings. In Internet Explorer Tools->Internet Options->
    General Tab->Accessibility you can choose to ignore font sizes & colors.

Wondering if in this mode my response will be visible.

• Marked as answer by edm2 Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:12 PM
  • Mr Gonzo.

Your suggestion was interesting. While not all webistes respond favorably to this treatment in many cases it replaces the bright "white" background by gray (my selected color under Appearance > Colors) . I find it useful (though others may not.)

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:32 PM