GPO Logon Script and policy extension problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I try to run an exe (user profile app) at logon, I dont get it to work on or Windows 7 in production. The logon script runs on XP, and it works in my lab on Windows 7. This User profile app also runs with policy extension but it dont run on Windows 7 or Windows XP.

So I need help to find out why it our Windows 7 have problem to run logon script and policy extension when it works in my lab.

Anyone with an idea why GPO Logon Script and policy extension don't Work in Windows 7.

/SaiTech

Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks for supporting me,

Maybe UAC blocking or something. 

- I dissable the UAC and the "GPO logon script" was running, I have not tested the policy extension yet..

/SaiTech

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:08 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:02 PM

All replies

• Checked eventlog. I think you have the answer there. Maybe UAC blocking or something.
    -- G Johansson http://GPfaq.se
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

To better understand your problem, you need more information for troubleshooting.

1. If the script works in lab, it indicates the problem may be caused by settings or software on your production Windows 7 system. Please try to compare the difference and let us know.
    2. What did the script do? I suggest create a simple script to test on production Windows 7 system, such as a BAT script which only open Notepad. Could it work?
    3. What do you mean by "policy extension"?

4. GPMC report:
    On DC, open GPMC, right-click Group Policy Result, choose Group Policy Result Wizard, follow the wizard to collect a report of the Windows 7 system. When it finish, right-click in the right-panel, choose Save Report. If you would like other community member to analyze the report, upload the file to Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/), and paste the link here, if not, you can send the file to tfwst@microsoft.com (with this thread title or link in the email).

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Thanks for supporting me,

Maybe UAC blocking or something. 

- I dissable the UAC and the "GPO logon script" was running, I have not tested the policy extension yet..

/SaiTech

• Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:08 AM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 5:02 PM

• Glad to hear the logon script is working now. If you have more questions in the future, you’re welcomed to this forum.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Hi,

I talked to the product support for the application, and we did test if the application did run with the UAC on and yes it did. So thay mean that it is a GPO Script Logon problem and many seems to have problem with gpo logon script and UAC.

Any comment?

/SaiTech

Monday, September 20, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

As I asked above, if the script works in lab, it indicates the problem may be caused by settings or software on your production Windows 7 system. Please try to compare the difference and let us know.

Also, could you create a simple script to run only NotePad to test logon script function? And create other script if NotePad script works.

To narrow down the cause, it’s also suggested to disable all third party software and test in Clean Boot. Is there any progress?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:52 AM