Checking status of 2 services after running set-service against multiple machines RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I am trying to run a script against a text file which contains a list of workstations captured in a variable ($testVDI).
    The script is working with exception to one area; checking the status after I've made the change to stop and disable the service.

Function of the script

runs get-service and gets status of two services, AdobeARMservice,AGSService
    Stops each service
    Sets -StartupType to disabled

I'm having trouble with checking on service status after I've made the change.

Here is how I have it currently working...essentailly it is two scripts, One to check and stop/disable the service and the 2nd script to run the same invoke-command to check on the service with get-service and using Select-object to grab the status/StartType.

The area where I need help is I would like to not have to run two scripts to set the changes and then check on the status.  
    Is there a way to combine them into one???
    Is there a better way to accomplish this? 

Invoke-Command -ComputerName $testVDI -ScriptBlock {get-Service AdobeARMservice,AGSService | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled};Invoke-Command -ComputerName $testVDI -ScriptBlock {get-Service AdobeARMservice,AGSService | Select-Object Name,DisplayName,status,StartType}|ft -AutoSize

OUTPUT

AGSService      Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service Stopped Disabled  VDITEST097.ad.firstsuncb.com   ab4a76b6-6576-4db7-8b2f-9d91e3ed4b1f
    AdobeARMservice Adobe Acrobat Update Service             Stopped Disabled  VDITEST096.ad.firstsuncb.com   e004787f-546c-42a8-8499-1838d78bdeb7
    AGSService      Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service Stopped Disabled  VDITEST096.ad.firstsuncb.com   e004787f-546c-42a8-8499-1838d78bdeb7
    AdobeARMservice Adobe Acrobat Update Service             Stopped Disabled  VDITEST095.ad.firstsuncb.com   712e4f5e-3f04-494e-95f7-3f7df53a7f79
    AGSService      Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service Stopped Disabled  VDITEST095.ad.firstsuncb.com   712e4f5e-3f04-494e-95f7-3f7df53a7f79
    AdobeARMservice Adobe Acrobat Update Service             Stopped Disabled  VDITEST085.ad.firstsuncb.com   39aa9de1-7cd9-47b7-ab7c-952e7c21a262
    AGSService      Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service Stopped Disabled  VDITEST085.ad.firstsuncb.com   39aa9de1-7cd9-47b7-ab7c-952e7c21a262

Thank you for your time,
    Rob

Thank you for your help and time, Robert Jaudon

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:48 PM

Answers

• Put both scripts into the same script block.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by rcjay272 Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:22 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:03 PM
  • You do not need to use Invoke-Command.

get-Service AdobeARMservice, AGSService -ComputerName $testVDI | 
        Stop-Service -PassThru | 
        Set-Service -StartupType disabled -PassThru | 
        Format-Table Name, DisplayName, status, StartType -AutoSize

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:09 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:08 PM

All replies

• Put both scripts into the same script block.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:03 PM
  • You do not need to use Invoke-Command.

get-Service AdobeARMservice, AGSService -ComputerName $testVDI | 
        Stop-Service -PassThru | 
        Set-Service -StartupType disabled -PassThru | 
        Format-Table Name, DisplayName, status, StartType -AutoSize

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:09 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:08 PM
  • JRV,

Once again...thank you.

That is a much easier way to accomplish the task.

The reason I was using the invoke-command is I am querying about 600 machines and I wanted to get the task completed as quickly as possible.

With regard to speed...Which method is best?

Rob.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:25 PM
  • If you use it as a job then it will be faster but as posted it is slower than direct access.

$job = Invoke-Command .$script -Computer $computers -AsJob -ThrottlelLimit $numjobs
    $job | Wait-Job | Receive-Job |  
         Format-Table PsComputerName, Name, DisplayName, status, StartType -AutoSize

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:35 PM
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:35 PM
  • If you use it as a job then it will be faster but as posted it is slower than direct access.

$job = Invoke-Command .$script -Computer $computers -AsJob -ThrottlelLimit $numjobs

\_(ツ)_/

JRV,

Thanks for the example....As you know from my previous post that you've helped me out on $jobs are an area that is unfamiliar to me.  Also...on a past note I did purchase and receive the Powershell books we spoke about. :) 

For your example...I am trying to understand the setup and have been playing around with simple $jobs to beter understand them.  Still a bit confusing to be honest.  Please take a look at my interpretation of your example and let me know if I'm on the right track.

$testVDI = get-content c:\temp\AllVDI.txt
    		$numjobs = '32'
    		$script = get-Service AdobeARMservice,AGSService | Stop-Service -PassThru | Set-Service -StartupType disabled
    		$job = Invoke-Command .$script -Computer $testVDI -AsJob -ThrottlelLimit $numjobs

Thanks again for the help,

Rob

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:36 PM
  • Now that you have the books you should read them carefully.

"ThrottleLimit" is an integer and doesn't use quotes it defaults to 32 so it is not needed here:

$testVDI = get-content c:\temp\AllVDI.txt
    $scriptblock = {
        get-Service AdobeARMservice, AGSService | 
            Stop-Service -PassThru |
            Set-Service -StartupType disabled -PassThru
    }

$job = Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock $scriptblock -ComputerName $testVDI -AsJob
    $job | 
        Wait-Job | 
        Receive-Job |

You cannot create a script block the way you were trying to.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Friday, December 8, 2017 6:35 PM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 6:35 PM