Vista will not start up AT ALL RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I start up my computer, I get the error saying windows has failed to start, and I pick the startup repair option. This then runs it's course, and after a good 5 minutes a get a pop-up saying: "Startup Repair cannont repair this computer automatically. Sending information to mircosoft... (blablabla)"

Below this, is "Show problem details", so I click this, and this is what I get.

---

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2

Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000

Problem Signature 03: 6

Problem Signature 04: 720906

Problem Signature 05: CorruptVolume

Problem Signature 06: NoRootCause

Problem Signature 07: 0

Problem Signature 08: 2

Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair

Problem Signature 10: 2

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

---

I then clicked "Send to Microsoft" and that did it's thing.

I then clicked "View diagnostic and repair details" and I got this.

---

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log

--------------------------------------

Last successful boot time: 11/4/2010 9:39:20 PM (GMT) [By the way, this is funny because I had logged in successfully at about 17:00.]

Number of repair attempts: 11

Session Details

--------------------------------------

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0

Windows Directory = C:\Windows

AutoChk Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1

[It then lists all of the checks run, and at the end:]

Root cause found:

Startup Repair has trued several times but still cannont determine the cause of the problem.

---

I then go to advanced recovery options, and open the command prompt. I'll write it as it is:

---

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright <c> 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

X:\Windows\system32\chkdsk /r

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cannont Lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N> y

This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts.

X:\Windows\system32

---

I then restart the computer, and it doesn't work. It goes to about half a second past the BIOS loadup screen, and it then just restarts again and goes through the Starup Repair service.

I have tried Safe Mode, and the same thing happens.

Specs:

Dell Dimension E521

Windows Vista SP1 32 Bit

AMD Athlon (can't remember what GHz) Dual Core (+5000)

2Gb RAM

ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

1x 500GB 1x320GB

---

Cheers very much,

Joseph

Friday, November 5, 2010 8:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Before going further, I would appreciate if you can clarify the following question:

1. When did this issue begin to occur?

2. Can you associate with any software\hardware change?

I assume you have tried system restore from the startup repair list. You can try Using Last Known Good Configuration to check if you can log in the system.

You can also do memory check through the Windows installation disc. To run memory diagnostic, insert the installation disc in the computer and reboot. When you get the prompt "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..." press and hold the SPACE BAR or tap it multiple times. This should bring up the Windows boot manager menu that lists Windows Memory Diagnostic as an advanced tool. Hit the TAB key to select Windows Memory Diagnostic and then hit ENTER to run it.

If this does not work, I would suggest an in-place upgrade.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:57 AM