none
Cannot see anymore the virtual hard disk process

Question

• Dear all,

We use one Hyper-V server on Windows Server 2016 to host some virtual machines. We need a virtual machine which requires:

-16GB RAM

-2TB of disk

After doing some researches on the Internet, I finally created a VHDX file and I configured the size for 2 TB. I created it through Hyper-V Manager on my client computer connected to the remote Hyper-V server.

Although it took forever to create the vhdx file, I suddenly plug off my cable without thinking about it (damn!). Now, I cannot see the virtual hard disk process anymore (and I cannot see if it is finished or not, even if it says the file is currently in use when I try to delete my vhdx).

Do you have any solutions so that I can see again the process? If not, a way to cancel it and recreates it (during the night this time, because it takes forever and it slows down the other virtual machines)? The host hyper-V is in production.

Regards,

Lucas

Monday, February 06, 2017 1:26 PM

Answers

• Nedim

I finally found the solution,

Restart VMMS does not impact the running VMs as said on this forum. So, I just stopped the service called vmms (Hyper V Virtual Machine Management Service) which canceled the creation of my vhdx and I will create  a new one with Powershell as you recommended.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Monday, February 06, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Nedim,

First, I would like to thank you for your fast answer.

By plug off my cable, I mean my Ethernet cable (by which I managed my Hyper-V host through Hyper-V Manager) so no more way to check to process creation for the VHDX file... (I know I'm a noob). If I use Powershell to create another vhdx file (of 2TB, too) with the same name on the same path, will it overwrite my current file and cancel the process?

Or should it better to wait all day long (without seeing the create progression)?

Monday, February 06, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi Nedim,

Yes that is right! I used Hyper-V manager on my own computer to manage it remotely and now, I am no more able to see the creation process. The problem is that Hyper-V server is in production (there are some VMs which cannot be turned on).In the screenshot below, OracleDBData.vhdx is my 2TB VHDX. If I kill the process (which is in fact called System, PID 4), I will also kill the other VMs, isn't it(and maybe the host in the same time)?

Monday, February 06, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Nedim

I finally found the solution,

Restart VMMS does not impact the running VMs as said on this forum. So, I just stopped the service called vmms (Hyper V Virtual Machine Management Service) which canceled the creation of my vhdx and I will create  a new one with Powershell as you recommended.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Monday, February 06, 2017 4:12 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

Are you not able to open task manager on remote computer and close the virtual drive creation process?

Monday, February 06, 2017 4:15 PM
  • Hi Lucas,

Glad to hear it is working.

You could mark the reply as answer to help others who met the same issue.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 2:54 AM