Time outs when redirected from RDS CB to RDSH RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm troubleshooting connectivity for the following setup:

1x RD Gateway server

1x RD Connection Broker Server also License server

1x RD Web server

1x RDSH server with multiple RemoteApps

Gateway is configured to allow bypass for local connections.  Certificate has the correct name and is successfully installed. Certificate is from an internet CA.

When users come in over the internet RemoteApps launch pretty quickly every time.  When users connect over the LAN RemoteApps launch successfully but much slower.  When users connect over some VPN connections the connection times out when launching a RemoteApp.

Over VPN I can see a successfull CAP and RAP in the Gateway Event log.  I can also see a successful connection and successful redirection from the gateway to the connection broker over HTTP.  In the SessionBroker log I can see a successful connection, but then when the redirect to RDSH is attempted event 819 occurs "This connection request has timed out. User could not log on to the end point within the alloted time. Remote Desktop Connection Broker will stop monitoring this connection request."

When you connect over the LAN it takes longer but successfully redirects, and when connecting over the internet (non VPN) it connects quickly and successfully.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:42 AM

Answers

• Turned out to be a particular VPN connection in the end.  Once the routing table was sorted out it all sprang into normal life.
    • Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Friday, July 10, 2015 1:27 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

What’s your server and client version you are using?

Please uncheck the option “Bypass RD Gateway for local address” for gateway setting and verify whether there is any improvement in connections. Also as you have commented that you are receiving time out when you use VPN connection, please see whether there is any blockage from firewall side for not allowing VPN connection to make the connections. 

This might also occur due to antivirus or other 3rd party related software. Because as you can connect directly from internet without any issue but there is some problem with internal LAN and VPN connection, So seems issue with internal firewall\antivirus. Please check whether it is not blocked or any policy applied for not allowing connection. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Windows Server Forum.

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your Support & understanding.

Regards.

Dharmesh Solanki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 30, 2015 2:42 AM
  • As previously stated connections over the LAN are successful, but slower than connections over the internet.

If I disable 'bypass gateway for local addresses' the connection is immediately rejected over VPN.

If it is firewall or AV related I'm surprised the connection actually gets as far as the connection broker since that's inside the firewall on the same subnet as the session host.  If perhaps you could provide more detail on what exactly I should be looking for or what ports a firewall would be blocking in this exact scenario, or what exactly AV can do to cause issues in this scenario I may be able to troubleshoot down those routes.  However, given I can take the same laptop with the same AV and switch it between networks that work, and those that don't I doubt it is the AV.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 1:48 PM
  • Take a look at a thread I am actively working on at the moment. We are still awaiting the OPs feedback but I suspect we have fixed it. The problem sounds very much like yours...

Jims Other Thread

Seeing a lot of this one recently... What are your latency times like pinging the connections brokers from a client over the VPN? do you have any packet loss? Sounds a little bit MTU related to me, RDP sets the fragmentation flag to denied which means if you are fragmenting packets due to small MTU size, plus overhead of VPN then you will get timeouts and disconnects.

If you are using VPN then personally I wouldn't bother with RDGateway. Just hit RDWEB direct.

• Proposed as answer by Microsoft Jim Tuesday, February 17, 2015 3:29 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Anything else we can help with or any feedback on your issue?
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 3:44 PM
  • Hi.  no further feedback at the moment.  It's not a minority problem and still under investigation.  It doesn't relate to Jims Other thread.
    Friday, March 27, 2015 3:41 PM
  • How many users are we talking about?
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:08 AM
  • Turned out to be a particular VPN connection in the end.  Once the routing table was sorted out it all sprang into normal life.
    • Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Friday, July 10, 2015 1:27 PM
    Friday, July 10, 2015 1:27 PM