1809 on W10 shows installed and requires restart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the question is about 1809 update installed from MS (not from WSUS).

After all the stories with 1809, I decided to apply 1809 on my machine as a test step.

So I did install from MS. For that I connected my machine to available ISP (no corporate LAN involved).

See the pics...

One shows it installed and requires restart.

The second - current version is 1709. I restarted multiple times. The same situation.

How to explain and what to do to assure that the version will display correctly, if it was really installed.

Thx.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Monday, February 4, 2019 3:56 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 2:46 PM

Answers

• Hello,

The version issue is easy to explain. It always displays 1709 rather than 1809 because the installation is not completed due to the pending restart.

It has been a couple of days. However, If the issue is still there, try the following step.

1> On the client, run the following script in an elevated CMD.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan
    2> Install the update again, when needing a restart, perform a clean reboot.

3> Check the results.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:30 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I did not see the pics you mentioned...

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:21 PM
  • sorry... just added

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:56 PM
  • Hello,

So this is the case now, the 1809 feature update always shows the pending restart status even if the client is restarted multiple times and the OS version always shows 1709, is it right?

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, February 4, 2019 4:30 PM
  • yes sir yes

Monday, February 4, 2019 4:49 PM
  • Hello,

The version issue is easy to explain. It always displays 1709 rather than 1809 because the installation is not completed due to the pending restart.

It has been a couple of days. However, If the issue is still there, try the following step.

1> On the client, run the following script in an elevated CMD.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientIDValidation /f
    rd /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution"
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    usoclient.exe startscan
    2> Install the update again, when needing a restart, perform a clean reboot.

3> Check the results.

Best Regards,
    Ray

• Marked as answer by pob579 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:30 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 3:14 AM
  • Hi Ray,

1. let me disagree on this statement:

> The version issue is easy to explain. It always displays 1709 rather than 1809 because the installation is not completed due to the pending restart.

it is not easy to explain :). And I clearly mentioned that restart (multiple) was performed.

2. even that a restart is not the issue (in my understanding), I did run the batch you proposed.

I connected external ISP internet (for excluding LAN and proxy). Assured that the web is accessible.

The batch run successfully.

3. Then I used update wizard. But it showed failed. Unknown error. Retry later.

Run Fix update from Update troubleshooting GUI. The result shows: Unexpected error.

Here I uploaded WindowsUpdateLog after running batch and hitting Update:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Av7GxVRWTkZlghA-CkVkGi06VNDd

So I have a NO GO situation.

After all I am about ready to reinstall Windows. Kind of not make sense to spent time on trying.

Yes my 10 was upgraded with couple of semi-annual updates. But is super clean.

I will wait your answer prior to go for reinstall OS option.

Sure, will be interesting to bring all to normal without reinstalling. But...

Monday, February 11, 2019 2:31 PM
  • update...

Finally, windows update run and beside some Office 2016 updates, found 1803 for my Windows.

And that after I had 1809 proposed and kind of installed with the note for restart that never helped.

By end of the day 1803 was twice installed... don't know why and I hit restart when it asked.

So will see if 1803 is applied. May be then 1809 will be proposed.

Will keep posted.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:29 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

What I meant before is that since the restart never is actually completed, so the upgrade never is completed successfully. That could explain why the version always shows 1709.

The script above could remove previously downloaded upgrade files and restart the scan/download cycle. So is your client upgraded to 1803 successfully?

Best Regards,
    Ray

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 10:20 AM
  • 1803 successfully installed and updated.

There are no 1809 when "Check for Updates".

Found the info helping to understand the nature of 1809 application and possible "non proposal" case. in the discussion here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1389692/windows-10-update-1809-not-offered-even-if-i-manually-search-for-it

There was a similar question...

Some info from MS is a bit unclear. From this:

"We are also streamlining the ability for users who seek to manually check for updates by limiting this to devices with no known key blocking issues, based on our ML model.  If we detect that your device has a compatibility issue, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates.”

It looks like something is not right in my system for applying 1809. But how the issue that is not identified and prevents 1809 installation could be known if the INSTALL not indicates it?

I took another measure thinking that it may trigger 1809 installation.

I "converted" my PRO edition to Enterprise without any reinstall or real upgrade, using a nice tip by changing KMS client key on my machine to Enterprise key. W10 became Enterprise 1803.

At this point I thought that 1809 will be proposed but it didn't happen.

I stop here and will see how 1903 will behave...

The end of the story that I will not push 1809 to W10 by WSUS. There are no special need for that. And it has a "painful" life by itself.

But this whole "exercise" just showed that 1809 is not a candidate in our environment.

Welcome 1903 !

Thanks Ray for your input.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 6:29 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 3:01 AM