none
DPM 2010 service & MMC crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my DPM 2010 service is crashing a couple of times each day. All of the replicas are in inconsistent state and all backups are failing.

Eventlog logs this error every time it is crashing:

<FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>381</Seq><TimeCreated>04.05.2011 07:30:55</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>ArgumentOutOfRangeException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Der Index lag außerhalb des Bereichs. Er muss nicht negativ und kleiner als die Auflistung sein.
    Parametername: index</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Der Index lag außerhalb des Bereichs. Er muss nicht negativ und kleiner als die Auflistung sein.
    Parametername: index
      bei System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
      bei System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateFileSpec(BackupTypeType backupType, Guid taskId, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateFileSpecIfNecessary(BackupTypeType backupType, Guid taskId, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.PRMCatalog.ROUtils.ValidateROListAndAddIfNecessary(Message msg, Guid taskId, BackupTypeType backupType, ComponentInformationType[] oldROComponents)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ReplicaPreBackupBlock.ValidateROList(Message msg, ROListType roList, Guid datasetId)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Prm.ReplicaPreBackupBlock.RAPreBackupSuccess(Message msg)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.Fsm.Transition.Execute(Message msg)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.Fsm.Engine.ChangeState(Message msg)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.TaskInstance.Process(Object dummy)
      bei Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.TaskExecutor.FsmThreadFunction.Function(Object taskThreadContextObj)
      bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
      bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
      bei System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

Seems to be some argzments are going out of range.

System:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1
    • DPM 2010 with the latest hotfix 3.0.7707.0

How can I fix this problem?

Regards,

André

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hi André,

Was this issue resolved?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi Wilson,

yes, issue had been resolved. We had to open a call at microsoft support and found out that there had been a programming bug inside the protection groups. Microsoft said that they will fix the bug in vnext of dpm.

Cheers,

André

Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:49 AM
  • I'm getting this, and DPM is crashing every 5 mins as a result. What was the resolution done by MS in the meantime?
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I opend a support ticket a microsoft and they found out that it is caused by a bug inside dpm. Ticket number at Microsoft for this case was 111050541573631. Since this issue was related to a bug, I had nothing to pay. Just open a case and get it solved.

Cheers,

André

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:58 AM