none
Unable to connect to Hyper-V host (HV Server 2012 R2) on domain from Hyper-V Manager (Win 10) NOT on domain

Question

• Hello all,

I, like so many, am having a very difficult time connecting to my Hyper-V host with Hyper-V Manager.  I've been working on it  -- off and on -- for weeks without success.

The Hyper-V host is an instance of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 on a domain which hosts 2 virtual machines.  I want to manage that Hyper-V host using Hyper-V Manager from my Windows 10 Pro laptop which is not on the domain.  It seems I've read a few things that state/suggest it should be possible to do including this.

Following is a list of steps I've taken in an attempt to make the connection.

On the Hyper-V host:

• WinRM is running and set up for remote management (winrm quickconfig)
    • Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management Service is running
    • Firewall rules for WMI and Remote Event Log Management have been enabled (http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/hyper-v-server/help_computer_cannot_be_managed.htm)
    • There has been a local user account created with the same username and password as on my laptop

On the laptop (Hyper-V Manager):

• WinRM is running and set up for remote management (winrm quickconfig)
    • The Hyper-V host has been added as a trusted computer (winrm set winrm/config/client '@{TrustedHosts="THE_NAME_OF_THE_SERVER"}')
    • Enabled DCOM permissions (allowed remote access for anonymous logon)
    • RSAT tools for Windows 10 are installed and I'm able to connect to the Hyper-V Server with Server Manager

Other:

• The appropriate firewall ports on the Hyper-V host have been opened (actually, I disabled the firewall in order to troubleshoot)
    • The hardware firewall is allowing all necessary traffic (I have disabled the firewall for that machine while troubleshooting)
    • I am able to connect to the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 instance via RDP
    • There is no DNS issue; the FQDN resolves as expected
    • I can, if necessary, enable a VPN connection to the domain (and have for troubleshooting purposes)

RESULTS:

When I try to connect using Hyper-V manager...
      - either as a domain admin (MYDOMAIN\username) or using the local admin account
      - either with a VPN connection or without
    ... I get the following error:
    "An error has occurred while attempting to connect to server "MYSERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM".  Check that the Virtual Machine Management service is running and that you are authorized to connect to the server.  You do not have the required permission to complete this task.  Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer 'MYSERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM'"

QUESTION:

What am I missing?  Has anyone had luck managing a Hyper-V host (on a domain) from an instance of Hyper-V Manager (NOT on the domain)?

As I said before, I've intermittently worked on this over a number of weeks.  Therefore, I may have forgotten to record steps I've taken -- or their results -- to list here.  I will update this post with anything I remember or am reminded of.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Adam

• Edited by -Adam Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:38 PM Added DCOM step
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

Have you added a record of the Server in the hosts file on Win10?

>>The Hyper-V host is an instance of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 on a domain which hosts 2 virtual machines.  I want to manage that Hyper-V host using Hyper-V Manager from my Windows 10 Pro laptop which is not on the domain.

I have seen lots of posts about the issues when remotely managing 2012 R2 from Win10. From non-domain client to domain server makes it more complicate.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Per your suggestion I just added a record to hosts.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help.

Thanks for the reply!

-Adam

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 11:23 AM
  • Just a quick update. . . 

After spending many, many hours on this issue, I'm convinced there's no way to complete the goal as stated in my original post.  

Therefore, I was forced to settle for spinning up a Server 2012 R2 VM for the sole purpose of managing the other VMs on our domain.  It's hard to believe there isn't an easy, reliable way to manage VMs in a mixed domain/workgroup scenario.

-Adam

Friday, March 31, 2017 2:50 PM