Doubt about Release Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I need some advice about release Updates.

I have WSUS 4.0 that release Updates for Win7 and Win10, when I select Approval = Unapproved and Status = Needed I have N Updates for release (OK, no problem), but when I select Approval = Unapproved and Status = Any obvious I have more Updates for release.

So my question is: Should I have Approval/Release Updates selecting Status = Any or Needed? What do you do?

Sorry if my question is dumb, but I'm newer on management about WSUS.

PS: I have only Critical and Security Updates.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 2:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Curious_007,

>So my question is: Should I have Approval/Release Updates selecting Status = Any or Needed? What do you do?

When we approve updates, the update binary files will be downloaded into WSUS content folder. So, if you want to save the space of the drive which stores Content folder, we'd only approve needed updates for clients. Since clients will only download the updates they reported as needed from the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:45 AM

All replies

• Not knowing your environment and how controlled it is or your desired patching goals, I would suggest not worrying about status when approving updates. If your goal is to install any and all critical and security updates for the products which you're syncing, you should approve them all. Any devices to which they are applicable will then install them or mark them as not applicable. 
    • Proposed as answer by D.Pope MCSE Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:02 PM
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:09 PM
  • Not knowing your environment and how controlled it is or your desired patching goals, I would suggest not worrying about status when approving updates. If your goal is to install any and all critical and security updates for the products which you're syncing, you should approve them all. Any devices to which they are applicable will then install them or mark them as not applicable. 

Thanks about your opinion.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Hi Curious_007,

>So my question is: Should I have Approval/Release Updates selecting Status = Any or Needed? What do you do?

When we approve updates, the update binary files will be downloaded into WSUS content folder. So, if you want to save the space of the drive which stores Content folder, we'd only approve needed updates for clients. Since clients will only download the updates they reported as needed from the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:45 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:54 AM