Safely Remove Hardware Icon Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista Home Premium.  The Safely Remove Hardware icon is missing from the system tray.  How can I add it?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hello Luvtoobake,

Thanks for your post!

Many factors may cause the problem you encounter. Please use the following steps to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Right-click the task bar and select properties, and switch to Notification Area tab, and then click Customize, then confirm whether Safely Remove Hardware is set to Hide in Behavior column. If so, please set it to Hide when inactive.

2.    Please confirm that all the drivers are updated, especially motherboard and BIOS.

For more information, please use the following page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1720&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

If the problem still persists after using the steps above, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.   

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Luvtoobake,

Thanks for your post!

Many factors may cause the problem you encounter. Please use the following steps to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Right-click the task bar and select properties, and switch to Notification Area tab, and then click Customize, then confirm whether Safely Remove Hardware is set to Hide in Behavior column. If so, please set it to Hide when inactive.

2.    Please confirm that all the drivers are updated, especially motherboard and BIOS.

For more information, please use the following page:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1720&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=&impid=

If the problem still persists after using the steps above, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.   

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:52 AM
  • I just got my ne Dell XPS M1330 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I connected a WD external hard drive and it's working fine. Nevertheless, there is no "Safely Remove Hardware" in my taskbar.

I tried your step 1 :

:Right-click the task bar and select properties, and switch to Notification Area tab, and then click Customize, then confirm whether Safely Remove Hardware is set to Hide in Behavior column. If so, please set it to Hide when inactive.

I even changed it to "Show" but it wouldn't show up!"

Upon an online guidance I tried to create a shortcut myself by:

• Right click on the desktop
  • New
  • Shortcut
  • Cut and paste the following into "Type the location of the item":
    • RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL HotPlug.dll

It open the "Safely Remove Hardware" window but no device appears there.

I was uncomfortable to install drivers recommended in your step 2 without more directions.

Dell were unprofessional and couldn't help.

I am totally frustrated by this Vista system. Since it seems to be a Vista problem I will appreciate some advice.

Thanks 

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Hi Lionel,

I just buy a new computer Compaq and I also cannot find the safely remove hardware. I did all the procedures you mentioned but at the end the icon still not there. What is the problem?

Thanks,

Paulo

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:55 PM
  • I just followed the steps you outlined to put the safely remove hardware icon on the toolbar, but I'm still having a problem.  The message read This notification icon is not currently active.  It will be shown the next time it becomes active.  My ipod is currently plugged into my computer.
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 12:11 PM