POP3 Account keeps asking popup password windows RRS feed

• Question

• We use Office365BE more than a year and have both POP3 and Exchange protocol users to access emails on Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2007 program.

Starting from mid-June, some POP3 users's Outlook program will popup password windows, will be disappeared after click okay several time. Will keep popup for 2-3 minutes. If click [send/receive] button, it will stuck in the middle of send / recieve status. Email Acess is normal at that time.

At that time, not all POP3 users have this issue. Exchange protocol users don't have this issue.

It almost happen from some different users every day till now.

We have setup password not expired in policy on Office365BE Exchange Admin.

Ever google search that some suggest to delete outlook password Windows Credentials from Credential Manager. But there is no outlook password stored in Windows Credentials. Only Exchange protocol password is stored there.

How should we solve this problem? Many thanks.

• Edited by EcoAxis Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi EcoAxis,

>>Starting from mid-June, some POP3 users's Outlook program will popup password windows

What changes have you made to Windows or Office before this issue occurs?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the pop-up window here for further assistance?

Besides, have you tried creating a new profile to check the results? Please refer to the steps in this link.

What's the POP account? Gmail? Based on my knowledge, some account like Gmail, you have to turn on " Allow less secure apps" option.

What’s more, it could also be related with anti-virus software. We could temporarily closing them to see if issue continues.

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:45 AM
  • i have The same issue pop3 and imap keeps ask password but if i use  exchange don't have this issue. 

this issue show up today 

All mail on office 365 

office v  : 2016 and 2013 

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:19 AM
  • Hi EcoAxis,

Any updates? Was my reply helpful to you?

Please feel free to post back if you have further concern.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 1:07 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

No changes for Windows or Office recently. Internet access is limited and Windows Update is turned off too.

As I said, it's Office365BE. POP3 server is outlook.office365.com, smtp.office365.com

Any idea?

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 8:11 AM
  • hi,

i have the same problem with some of my customers.  Only in pop3 or imap.

But on my office365 portal, i found this.   It was mentioned on the "service state"

EX142673 - Repeated credential prompts

Verslechtering van service
    Gevolgen voor de gebruiker:
    Users may experience repeated credential prompts when attempting to access their mailbox using POP3 or IMAP.
    Laatste bericht:
    Title: Repeated credential prompts User Impact: Users may experience repeated credential prompts when attempting to access their mailbox using POP3 or IMAP. More info: Users may be able to access the service after multiple attempts but will continue to receive further credential prompts. While we're focused on remediation, users may be able to access their mailbox using Outlook on the web. Current status: We're continuing to test the process improvements in a portion of the affected infrastructure for signs of mitigation and to confirm that there is no additional impact to the service. Once this has been completed and we can confirm this has been successful we will apply the improvements throughout the remained affected infrastructure. In parallel, while the testing continues, we’re reviewing load share thresholds, connections counts for abnormalities, and are analyzing memory logs to determine whether there are any additional improvements we can make to remediate impact. Scope of impact: This issue could potentially affect any of your users if they are routed through the affected infrastructure. Start time: Tuesday, June 26, 2018, at 8:08 AM UTC Next update by: Wednesday, June 27, 2018, at 11:30 AM UTC

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 28, 2018 6:01 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 9:58 AM
  • Hi,

Please check pieters-it’s reply to see if it is your case.

Besides, Outlook keeps asking for password of server could be caused by many reasons. You could also check the details in the following links which are applied to O365 and Outlook 2013.

"Enter your user name and password for the following server" appears when I send/receive mail

Outlook continually prompts for your password when you try to connect to Office 365

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, June 29, 2018 1:39 AM
  • hi,

- Cannot find this issue "EX142673 - Repeated credential prompts" in my o365 portal

"Enter your user name and password for the following server" appears when I send/receive mail

- Seems not help. Already saved the password

Outlook continually prompts for your password when you try to connect to Office 365

- Not related to POP3 Account.

Strange that not find this issue these days. Agreed that it could be caused by many reasons.

I think it should be related to O365 side but don't know what happen. Not related to client side.

• Marked as answer by EcoAxis Friday, June 29, 2018 7:49 AM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 7:49 AM
  • I still suffer

Any updates

• Proposed as answer by RwBug Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RwBug Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:20 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RwBug Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:47 PM
    Friday, June 29, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Google Chrome, Gmail, and Outlook 2007

It may be that you have inadvertently reset Chrome’s security measures.

If you have Gmail through Google Chrome and use Microsoft’s Outlook 2007, then to enter Outlook without having a pop3 window from asking for the password, click on your Google icon, and then click into the Security window that shows the padlock.  If the Third-party access row has a green checkmark, then click on the down arrow, and in the next screen click on "Turn off", to “Turn off less secure app access.”  Exit back, and there should now be an orange circle with an exclamation point.   

Open up Outlook.  If the Inbox does not populate, then open up your email settings and make sure that your gmail User ID and Password are entered correctly. 

• Edited by RwBug Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:50 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2019 5:49 PM