none
Installing Windows Update Express cabs (Win7x64) RRS feed

• General discussion

• After reading several articles that stated "There is no way to manually install a WU express cab", I just had to figure it out for myself. One of the requirements of our organization is to have all Windows updates preinstalled to the point that running Windows Update shows no patches are due, even the Win 10 prep patches. I found 3 patches in Win7 x64 that could not be integrated via Dism.

KB2533552, KB2952664-v19 and KB3035583

KB2533552 is an odd one. WU shows that a piece of service pack 1(KB976932) is missing. Looking in the SoftwareDistribution folder, you can see that it is actually KB2533552 that is being installed to rectify this.

KB3035583 is another oddball. If you use Dism to integrate, it shows that this was successful. After running WU it still shows as missing. Even moving it to post install routine shows the same result. It only installs to WU's satisfaction using the express cab.

KB2952664 could be installed via Dism in earlier versions using a .msu file. There does not appear to be one available now for version 19, so you have to use the express cab.

The trick is to capture the files from the softwaredistribution folder.

Delete all contents of the softwaredistribution folder. Run WU, select the KB you want. Now let WU download the KB that you need, but click cancel as soon as it starts to install. Copy the folder that contains the KB you selected to another folder where you can work on it. Rename the folder to a friendly name. WU may have deleted some of the source files if it had started to install, so extract all the files out of the cab into your friendly named folder, overwriting any existing files. If you have subfolders in the cab file, make sure those are properly replicated with matching files.

I captured the command being used by WU for the install with Process Monitor.

Example - (you must use full paths)

start /wait %SystemRoot%\system32\dism /online /norestart /add-package /packagepath:%SystemDrive%\PostInstall\KB2533552 /ignorecheck

I have done the work for you if you wish to download the folders containing the required files here. -

https://mega.nz/#F!qRYTSYhC!7MuBGBf1cOnLeqkLYs8yCg

https://mega.nz/#F!2IxWibiL!EgVEdSWLoriu9AMusb-58g

https://mega.nz/#F!LYpBXSDL!qCegR0Jhmp3I7BLb9Y8yRw

I then add the following registry edits to prevent Win 10 from updating.

%SystemRoot%\System32\reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    %SystemRoot%\System32\reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade /v AllowOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    %SystemRoot%\System32\reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade /v ReservationsAllowed /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    %SystemRoot%\System32\reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

And then disable this task.

%SystemRoot%\System32\schtasks.exe /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /DISABLE

So now you can have your Win7x64 image with every "important" and "optional" patch installed without fear of an unexpected Win10 upgrade.

I will create Win7 x86 versions by request.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:00 PM