Word 2010 - Print Preview Flicker with Portrait/Landscape pages in document RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2010, I create a blank document (Portrait A4 based on Normal - default from MS), then insert a Next Page Section Break.  If I change the second page to Landscape then go to the Backstage view I get this problem.

The preview is set to 'Whole Page' as default.  The Lanscape page looks fine, but the Portrait page flickers - it switches between 65% & 66% zoom.

I have tried this in Safe mode to make sure it's nothing outside of Word.  Can anyone else reproduce this issue or tell me how to fix it on an enterprise level.

Many thanks, Kelly

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:42 AM

All replies

• I have a found another factor in this.  We found a machine where this wasn't happening, and it had a different screen and screen resolution.

We have found the error is fixed if you switch away from a screen resolution of 1440 x 900 (which unfortunately is the default for all our laptops and most of our screens).

It's certainly not a fix, but helps pinning it down.  Can anyone else see the problem if they have this screen resolution?

Thanks, Kelly

Friday, July 29, 2011 10:51 AM
  • I have the same scenario with the 2 different sections but my resolution is 1280x1024. The quickest thing for me is to set zoom to 100%

SoftCom

Monday, November 7, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi Kel,

Try checking for updated screen and printer drivers. Word uses both to lay out a document on screen.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Monday, November 7, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I've seen this too on several PCs (Word and Outlook 2010, Windows 7). The flickering stops when the window is resized or when the zoom factor is changed.
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:36 AM