none
Passing parameters to SSRS report RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Can we pass a filter parameter created in PPS dashboard to an SSRS report that is imported??
     Please let me know if you have any solutions

Thanks and regards,
    Ram
    Friday, June 5, 2009 7:24 AM

Answers

• If I understand correctly you want to map PPS filter values to SSRS report parameters values.
    See if this works
    1. In your SSRS report create the parameter with appropriate dimension.
    2. Create new report in PPS as SQL Server Report and import this report. Here you have option to check if u want to show toolbar and all. Select appropriately. Also in the table below you should see the report parameter from SSRS report. You can leave the value to default.
    3. Create a filter on the dashboard with Member Selection using same Dimension/Hierarchy/level used in step 1. 
    4. Add filter and PPS report(from 2) on the dashboard.
    5. Create a link between filter and report. Here on Link Options tab and in dashboard item endpoint, you should see report parameter. Select that.Source value will be Member Unique Name.
    6. Click OK save and publish.
    If everything is goes fine it should work.

Friday, June 5, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Does this help?  http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/07/20/how-do-i-integrate-ssrs-reports-with-dashboard-filters.aspx

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:25 PM

All replies

• I tried doing - and it does not work.

Thanks
    Sen.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Regards,
    Ram
    Friday, June 5, 2009 1:57 PM
  • If I understand correctly you want to map PPS filter values to SSRS report parameters values.
    See if this works
    1. In your SSRS report create the parameter with appropriate dimension.
    2. Create new report in PPS as SQL Server Report and import this report. Here you have option to check if u want to show toolbar and all. Select appropriately. Also in the table below you should see the report parameter from SSRS report. You can leave the value to default.
    3. Create a filter on the dashboard with Member Selection using same Dimension/Hierarchy/level used in step 1. 
    4. Add filter and PPS report(from 2) on the dashboard.
    5. Create a link between filter and report. Here on Link Options tab and in dashboard item endpoint, you should see report parameter. Select that.Source value will be Member Unique Name.
    6. Click OK save and publish.
    If everything is goes fine it should work.

Friday, June 5, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Does this help?  http://blogs.msdn.com/performancepoint/archive/2007/07/20/how-do-i-integrate-ssrs-reports-with-dashboard-filters.aspx

Aseem Nayar - MSFT
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Yeah - it works fine - PPS is a bit dodgy at times, the first time I added the RS Report in PPS - the parameters were visible in the report section and not in the report parameter section.
    and hence - when u try it in the dashboard - u do not get to link with the filters

I tired again - and things were fine

Sorry for my previous answer

Thanks
    Sen.

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:37 PM
  • And if for some reason you are not seeing the parameters being pulled into the setup of the report in Dashboard Designer because you are using SSRS 2008 then you will want to take a look at this thread and either use SharePoint Integrated mode or install the hotfix that was released and go with Report Center mode - PPS SQL Server Report (SSRS 2008) 'Unable to connect to server'.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 11:41 AM
  • I am using SSRS 2005 reports and face the same problem

Pretty strange

Thanks
    Friday, June 19, 2009 6:00 PM
  • What issue are you experiencing?  Are you not seeing the parameters when referencing the report in Dashboard Designer?  Are you receiving the 'Unable to connect to server' message?  Please provide some additional information as to the steps that you are taking and what you are seeing.

What build version of PPS are you current running?
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:52 PM
  • Is this the solution?? Here only talks about SSRS 2008, but perhaps it works with 2005 version too.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=969842

Regards
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I have AviRup problem, "unable to connect to server" when I try to see report parameters in Dashboard Designer

I´m using PerformancePoint server 2007 with SSRS 2005

My build version of PPS is 3.0.4209.00

Thanks
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:04 AM
  • That hotfix was for the SSRS 2008 issue using Report Center mode.  Have you downloaded and installed the latest Microsoft Report Viewer 2008 by chance after you upgraded to PPS SP2?  You might want to give that a try to see if that resolves your issues.

If that still doesn't solve your issue then see if you can try the workaround using the SharePoint Integrated mode option when setting up the report Performance Point Server - Integrating SSRS2008 Report View.  That was a workaround to be able to use SSRS 2008 reports prior to SP2 and prior to the hotfix that you listed.

Here is a list of the hotfixes after SP2 and the PPS build list - PerformancePoint Server 2007 Hotfixes Available and Build List.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Friday, June 26, 2009 10:50 AM