Download full content only of last few months but keep all messages visible RRS feed

• Question

• Dear colleagues.

I have seen this in Apple Mail but not sure it is possible to achieve in MS Outlook.

So this is the thing.

In Apple Mail over IMAP it is possible to download list of all emails - but actual content is only downloaded for a last month or two. So in that sense, size on inbox is always relatively the same. However, when I want to search for specific email, search will connect through server and will search for specific email term/message there anyway. Also if I scroll inside Apple Mail back in history I want to open specific older message, in that moment, email client connects to that older message in that moment and downloads the content.

Is it possible to achieve something like that in MS Outlook. As far as I could see so far it is possible to download all IMAP email with 100% synchronization which is what I am doing now. However, inbox size will grow in time so I was thinking that concept above would be much better for longer run (If I don't wan to do archiving for every 6 months). Any suggestions?

Best regards.

Saturday, July 7, 2018 6:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to my research, I'm afraid that there is no such a built-in option in Outlook to realize this.

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

The local Inbox size is also related with mail offline setting. We could set "Mail to keep offline" to 12 months. The local data file won't grow too large.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Visitor 2001 Saturday, July 21, 2018 4:14 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 6:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my research, I'm afraid that there is no such a built-in option in Outlook to realize this.

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

The local Inbox size is also related with mail offline setting. We could set "Mail to keep offline" to 12 months. The local data file won't grow too large.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Visitor 2001 Saturday, July 21, 2018 4:14 PM
    Monday, July 9, 2018 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the information above is helpful to you.

Please feel free to tell me if you need further concern.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:13 AM
  • Dear Perry.

Sorry for delay. Yeah, I was thinking the same. That feature then doesn't exist.

I guess I will most likely return to old PST mode and in that case where I will have to archive PST when it reaches 2gb as I was doing it before. I'll take some time to revert back to that.

Thanks again.

Saturday, July 21, 2018 4:16 PM