Change a person's username and default e-mail address RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have 2 mail domains, aside from the default microsoftonline domain. People in Europe use one domain (abc.com)  and the folks in the USA use the other domain (xyz.com). The company has decided that everyone should use the USA domain. We use ADSync.

In order to achieve this do I...

Change the email address in each European user record in AD to user@xyz.com?

Run SyncAD to sync the changes to MS Online?

Change the username domain in Admin Center to the USA domain, xyz.com?

Add an alias for user@xyz.com in Admin Center?

Change the Default E-mail Address to user@xyz.com in Admin Center?

Will the user be able to log into the single sign in application with thir new username without having to create a new profile?

Thanks,

Gary

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:53 PM

Answers

• Greetings Gary!

Aliases changes are one of the items that do not pull over after the initial dirsync and is the one thing in the Admin Center that can be edited.  The BEST way to do this is going to be tedious and time consuming.  I hope you have few users in which this change must be made.  You've already mentioned this in your "options" already, you'll want to add the alias of the xyz.com domain and change it to the default.  I believe, although its been a while since I've had occassion to test it, your users can use any of the aliases to log in, however it would be in their best interest to change to the new login as you'll want to have them reconfigure their Outlook profile.  The reason for this is that Outlook will be set to their old alias.  You can always test the various senarios to see their affect on a test user.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the user from the AD and then recreate.  This will cause a mailbox disconnect and force you to recreate the user with the previous address to reconnect.  This will put you back at square one and possibly cause lost email.

Vickie - BPOS Technical Support
    Got an Office 365 question? Try the Office 365 Community Forums http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:01 PM

All replies

• Greetings Gary!

Aliases changes are one of the items that do not pull over after the initial dirsync and is the one thing in the Admin Center that can be edited.  The BEST way to do this is going to be tedious and time consuming.  I hope you have few users in which this change must be made.  You've already mentioned this in your "options" already, you'll want to add the alias of the xyz.com domain and change it to the default.  I believe, although its been a while since I've had occassion to test it, your users can use any of the aliases to log in, however it would be in their best interest to change to the new login as you'll want to have them reconfigure their Outlook profile.  The reason for this is that Outlook will be set to their old alias.  You can always test the various senarios to see their affect on a test user.

Whatever you do, do NOT remove the user from the AD and then recreate.  This will cause a mailbox disconnect and force you to recreate the user with the previous address to reconnect.  This will put you back at square one and possibly cause lost email.

Vickie - BPOS Technical Support
    Got an Office 365 question? Try the Office 365 Community Forums http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Thanks Vickie,

I've tested logging in as an alias and using the new default but the SSO app or MS doesn't like either. We'll probably change their user name to that of the new default mail address to avoid confusion. It's going to be messy and time consuming; we have over 120 users to change in Europe but it has to be done.

Gary

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:31 AM