none
Creating new Protection Group - Error 33516 RRS feed

• Question

• DPM 2016 Version 5.0.322.0

Attempting to create a new protection group I receive the error noted below.

Create protection group: ABC failed:
    Error 33516: DPM failed to communicate with a WMI Service while trying to execute a query.
    Recommended action: Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service, the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service and the Microsoft Storage Spaces SMP service are running and retry the operation.

All services noted above are running.

Ideas?

TIA

NETCRAMMER

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• I had this recently on a bad installation.  (it was a weird hardware issue) which had corrupted the installation.

Full rebuild later, never saw it again.  Very strange.

I was using SQL 16, DPM 16, then UR2, then SQL 16 SP1, plus CU1.  (In that order)

I also discovered if you install SQL16 and bring straight to SP1, then install DPM16, pre req's fail.  I before I get shotdown saying SP1 is not supported yet, I know.

My experience with DPM16 so far has been shocking.  Only reason I went to it was support for S2D cluster.  Sometimes I feel half of my job is been a Ginny pig for MS.  UR 2 seems to be getting there.

Sunday, March 26, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, nothing but headaches since upgrading from 2012. This particular DPM server is virtual.

A rebuild may be my only option, as I have yet to find a fix.

NETCRAMMER

Monday, March 27, 2017 12:25 PM
  • Same error generated on a new build - using 2016 Std Server/SQL 2014/DPM 2016 - successfully created 1 PGs (for System State) before the error showed upon creating the 2nd PG (SQL Server Backup).

Create protection group: XXXXXX failed:

Error 33516: DPM failed to communicate with a WMI Service while trying to execute a query.

Recommended action: Verify that the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service, the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service and the Microsoft Storage Spaces SMP service are running and retry the operation.

NETCRAMMER

• Edited by NETCRAMMER Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:18 PM
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

We received the same error after SCCM installation. Restarting the machine solved the problem. Its strange and the error code was misleading.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:54 AM