Windows XP Pro x64 & .NET Framework 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed while using Windows Update after a clean install of Windows XP Pro x64 that it took a considerably longer time for a few icons to appear in the notification area after the .NET Framework 4 was installed on my pc. No other programs were installed when this issue began. After all the updates are installed, it takes about two minutes for the network connection icon to appear after the previous icon. During this time inteval, if I click on Internet Explorer, the program will not respond. If I click once, it will respond after the network connection icon appears. If i click multiple times, IE will open multiple times after the network icon appears. The pc is generally sluggish during this two minute period. Is there known fix for this issue?

Regards 

• Edited by tjg79 Monday, November 28, 2011 8:50 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:39 AM

All replies

1. What are the specs of your system (CPU, RAM, etc)?
    2. Do you have any anti-malware software loaded?
    3. Does everything look good in your Device Manager?

FYI, when your system is busy doing other tasks (loading apps, etc) in the background, it may seem it does not respond to your clicks, but it WILL remember them. So, if you click the IE icon 5 times, it will open 5 x IE windows once it has enough resources to do so.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:04 PM
  • 1. Intel DX58SO motherboard (w/ latest BIOS & all drivers) w/ i7 920 cpu & 6GB RAM, NIVDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card, 4 Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA drives, Windows XP Pro x64 w/ all updates.

2. ESET Smart Security 5, the issue was present before and after the internet security software was loaded.

3. No issues in Device Manger.

Yes, the system is busy with something. Perhaps it's the order things are loaded. I noticed the local area connection icon (connected to DSL) in the notification area was slow to appear just after I loaded the .NET framework 4 update using Microsoft Update. As I rebooted and continued to add updates, some for the .NET 4, the issue continued. I loaded all the high priority updates in the sequence Microsoft Updates suggested, then the optional updates available, then the high priority updates and so on until everything was loaded. There were no other programs loaded on the system so I was able to observe the performance changes as I loaded updates.

Because of the delay of the local area connection icon, if I have a Magic Jack, VOiP device, attached via USB when I reboot, the Magic Jack software will not load correctly, because it's looking for a high speed internet connection and I usually get an error unless I disconnect the Magic Jack during the reboot and install again after the system is ready. As I mentioned, IE will not respond if I click on the icon during the time period from when the desktop appears and the local area connection icon appears.

Regards

PS

I just looked at the system event viewer and see consistent errors that appear during reboot. The source indicated is DCOM. The errors appear in batches of 4. The description is:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Regards

• Edited by tjg79 Monday, November 28, 2011 8:27 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 7:59 PM
  •  This is what the Help and Support Center indicates for the error described above:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 10016
    Source: DCOM
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_COM_ACCESS_DENIED_IN_SERVER_ACTIVATION_OR_LAUNCH_PERMISSION
    The %1 permission settings do not grant %2 %3 permission for the COM Server application with CLSID %4 to the user %5\%6 SID (%7). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

%1 = machine-default, application-specific; %2 = local, remote; %3 = launch, activation; %4 = ; %5 = /; %6 = .

Explanation

A program, the Clsid displayed in the message, tried to start the DCOM server by using the DCOM infrastructure. Based on the security ID (SID), this user does not have the necessary permissions to start the DCOM server.

User Action

Verify that the user has the appropriate permissions to start the DCOM server.

To assign permissions

1. Using Regedit, navigate to the following registry value
      HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
      The clsid value is the information displayed in the message.
    2. In the right pane, double-click Default. The Edit String dialog box is displayed. Leave this dialog box open.
    3. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    4. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Component Services.
    5. In the Component Services snap-in, expand Computers, expand My Computer, and double-click DCOM Config.
    6. In the right pane, locate the program by using its friendly name.
    7. Right-click the program name, and then select Properties.
    8. On the Security tab, in the Launch and Activation Permissions group box, select Customize, and then click Edit.

Add the user to the permissions list, and give the user the appropriate permissions.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

PS

I can only go to step 6 in the "To assign permissions" instructions. I can't find any program by its friendly name, because I don't know what the friendly name is. Also, I don't see anything listed with the same Application ID listed in the error message.

Regards

• Edited by tjg79 Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:10 AM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:32 PM
  • OK, I was able to fix the DCOM error and the system now boots without generating errors, but my original issue with the local area connection and IE hasn't been resolved by the fix.

Regards

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Is there a way to reprioritize the installation of the services indicated by the icons in the notification area? If so, I'd like to start the local area connection service sooner in the boot process.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:46 PM
  • I just reviewed the system event log. Prior to the installation of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows XP x64-based systems (KB982670), the time for the Network Location Awareness (NLA) service to enter running state was 12 seconds. It was 7 seconds before any updates were installed after a clean install from the os distribution disk. Immediately after the MS .NET Framework 4 was installed, the time for the NLA to enter running state jumped to 95 seconds. Presently, after all available updates are installed, the time is 67 seconds.    
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:43 AM