Adding a second FE Pool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello , 

I wondering is someone could shed some light on adding a second FE pools to my topology   .  A few months back I introduced Skype for Business into my environment.  The environment consist of a FE , DB, Office web app and Proxy server.   All working great , but like to add an additional pool for testing .  Is any documentations out there that will should me proper way to add this additional Pool or is just the same steps as when I added my first pool ?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

From your description above, you use different public certificate for each FE pool.

If yes, then base on my understanding, you can use the san SAN name for both certificate.

However, for the second certificate, if you use Lyncpool1.Mylocal.com as the SAN name, then the DNS Name still need this value.

The best way is using SFB Server Deployment Wizard on the second FE pool, and run step 3 to request the certificate.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:46 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:13 AM

All replies

• Pretty well the same steps. Just create a new pool, publish the topology and install the servers. The main consideration is whether you want to add backup resiliency and pair the pools. If you choose this option for the pool make sure you run step 2 of the install wizard on your existing FE servers so that the service is installed.

Hope that helps.

Andrew Morpeth
    Lync and Skype for Business Consultant (NZ)
    Blog: http://ucgeek.co
    Twitter: @AndrewMorpeth

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question, please click "Mark As Answer"

Andrew Morpeth MVP

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:26 PM
  • Hi Dean Maher,

Installing your second SFB Pool is much like installing the first pool.

You could do like following :

1. Open SFB topology builder

2.right click the Skype for Business server 2015

3.select new and then select Front end pool

After these steps, publish the topology.

The following link describes the steps about Lync server standard edition but similar to the Lync server enterprise edition

http://windowspbx.blogspot.sg/2012/08/step-by-step-adding-your-second-lync.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:57 AM
  • OK... thanks for the info .......  At this time I'm only looking to create a new pool with 3 FE server and test a few things out and in time transition the users to this pool.

Just wondering about the Certs,  Now I understand that I required new San cert for the new pool but what do I do with the Sip domain?  I like for both to use sip.MYdomain.com . 

Also how does one handle the  simple URL.

Thanks again for help .  

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

You can use the same sip domain for both pools.

If it is the same sip domain for both pools, then the simple URL should be the same.

More details:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425874(v=ocs.15).aspx

Best Regards

Eason Huang

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Ok, 

I just a little confused ,  

Current I have a Lyncpool call Lyncpool1.Mylocal  can server  skbfe01.mylocal.com the San cert for that has the following 

Subject name:  Lyncpool1.Mylocal.com

Subject Alternative names

DNS Name=Lyncdiscover.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=Lyncdiscover.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=LyncdiscoverInternal.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=LyncdiscoverInternal.wds.mun.ca
    DNS Name=Sip.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=Sip.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=dialin.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=lyncpool1.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=meet.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=meet.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=skbfe01.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=lyncpoolfe01.Mylocal.com

Now I'm adding my second call Lyncpool2.Mylocal on server skbfe02.mylocal.com  and the cert request is as follows 

Subject name:  Lyncpool1.Mylocal.com

Subject Alternative names

DNS Name=Sip.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=Sip.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=dialin.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=lyncpool2.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=meet.myExtdomainname.com
    DNS Name=meet.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=skbfe02.Mylocal.com
    DNS Name=lyncpoolfe01.Mylocal.com

Won't the new cert make the old cert have an issue as they have the same names with both 

I don't have a Local CA . 

Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

From your description above, you use different public certificate for each FE pool.

If yes, then base on my understanding, you can use the san SAN name for both certificate.

However, for the second certificate, if you use Lyncpool1.Mylocal.com as the SAN name, then the DNS Name still need this value.

The best way is using SFB Server Deployment Wizard on the second FE pool, and run step 3 to request the certificate.

Best Regards

Eason Huang

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, June 23, 2016 5:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:46 AM
    Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:13 AM