Get ParentWorkItem data in a review activity, in email template? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Requestoffering that require a review from a manager.
    I need to send an email to the manager that he/she need to review the request, but Im not able to pickup the values like:
    The end users name
    The question that the enduser had to fill-out when making the request

I've tried to select from these classes, but no luck so far.
    Is this possible at all, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Take a look at this blogpost:
    http://www.scsm.se/?p=948

Regards
    //Anders

Anders Asp | Lumagate | www.lumagate.com | Sweden | My blog: www.scsm.se

• Marked as answer by Moe,Peter Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Take a look at this blogpost:
    http://www.scsm.se/?p=948

Regards
    //Anders

• Marked as answer by Moe,Peter Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:15 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Thanks, but I think a need a little more help. Not that familiar with xml (hoped to learn about it at the masterclass course you were to held in Oslo this week).

I completed the xml-editing, but which class should I pick in the E-mail template? (I tried Affected User, but it didnt help)

I also need to get the Name of the Related Items - Affected Configuration Item in the SR requested by the enduser

Which xml code do I have to alter to achieve this?

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Oh, sorry about the course Peter, hope you will be able to attend in March? I'm afraid that we won't have time with any XML coding at the course though...

The targeted class should be Review Activity.

Maybe you could explain the whole scenario as it would make it easier for me to give you the answer you want/need?

Regards
    //Anders

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Thanks Anton :-)

Anders, the scenario is like this:

We have several RequestOfferings on the Portal that is uses Orchestrator to perform Active Directory task, like add users to requested group.

When a enduser make a request he/she is presented with a list of all the AD-groups that matches a filter, to narrow down the list, and they have to give a justification on the request.

The Servicerequest template has a Default review Activity that sets a manager to approve the request and a runbook activy that complete the request if approved.

All working perfectly.

Now, when the email is sent to the Manager for approval, Ive only managed to create a link directly to the review-activity. The Manager then have to open the review activity and click the 'Parent work item' link in the righthand corner, and browse through all the pages. Way too complicated for most managers - They are non-technical persons - creating alot of extra calls to the itsupport how to approve the request.

We have mapped the selected AD-group to the Affected Configuration Item in the ServiceRequest, and the Justification to the UserInput field

Our goal is to send the manager an email with the follow info:

"Please review the request,bla.bla.bla..

Requested by: Full name of the enduser

Request access to: the Name of the Affected Configuration Item (which is the AD-group selected)

Justification: the Justification enetered by the enduser

regards, IT"

This way the Managers have all the info he/she need in the email, and may approve / reject it right away.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Oh, ok. so it might actually be better to copy some details from the Parent Work Item to the description of the actual RA. Then the manager could get this information in the e-mail and see it when browsing the SSP. Maybe a custom workflow or a SCO runbook?

Regards
    //Anders

Thursday, February 7, 2013 7:51 AM
  • I thought of solving it by SCO, which is quite easy, but I cant get the SCO RB to run if the Review status equal failed (Rejected). Is this possible at all (how)?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:13 AM