none
LDM database is 80% occupancy RRS feed

• Question

• we are getting the message that the LDM database is 80% occupancy.

LDMStats gives;

Connecting [DPMSERVER\MSDPM2012]...
    Total disks          : 29
    Total volumes        : 398
    Total extents        : 1485
    Total data sources   : 290
    Number of non-colocated data sources that can still be added: 101

Because the Total data sources is near 300 then I am assuming that we need to get a new second server. I dont think it will help to use MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM ?

In the meantime my question is - If I remove 4 protection groups from backup, will that free up some space on the LDM DB? I plan on putting them onto our other backup system.

We backup to disk for 30 days and then onto tape. I would stop protection but maintain backups for existing retention period. Would the LDM records only get cleared after 11 months? (which is the tape retention - one full every month)

much obliged

Thursday, October 15, 2015 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM could work to free up some space in the LDB database because every time when a replica- or recovery point-volume gets extended it counts as an entry. Migrating a datasource to another disk will consolidate all extents into one entry.

This could give you that extra time you need while moving your 4 protection groups to the other backup system and without loosing any recovery points.

Kind Regards
    Markus Eliasson

• Marked as answer by dpmoperator Friday, October 16, 2015 1:04 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 6:11 AM