Computer fatal error- does not start up RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft did their regular updates and after restarting, the computer will not start.

i get this error.  Statuts 0xc0000098

and it has a problem with this file

windows\system32\DRIVERS\compbatt.sys

what happened and what can I do to fix this.

if this is the wrong forum for this, can you direct me to the correct one.

thanks!

meena
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi mabbi,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that compbatt.sys is a hardware driver.

If the issue occurred right after installing updates and you did not install other hardware driver before that, the cause can be that an incompatible hardware driver update was installed on your computer.

Mabbi, have you tried Carey’s suggestion to enter Safe Mode and perform a System Restore?

If so, please do not install the hardware driver update. (Windows updates are listed with numbers like KB***** and driver updates are not.).

In the future, if your hardware devices are working properly, I suggest we do not install driver updates as some updates for third-party drivers listed on the Microsoft Windows Update website may not be the latest ones. Only for customer's convenience, Microsoft offers these devices on its update website. The third-party manufacturers supply the updates of the drivers to Microsoft. Then Microsoft includes these updates in the Windows Updates. When we scan for Windows Updates, these updates will be offered. However, sometimes the manufacturers do not supply the updates to Microsoft in time. Therefore, the version of the driver update may be older than the one offered directly by the manufacturer. If we install these updates, issues may occur.

If you prefer not to let the driver update show on the computer in the future, we can hide drive updates through Control Panel -> Windows Update.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:31 AM

All replies

• Boot into "Safe Mode" and use System Restore
    which is found by going to Start > All Programs >
    Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Select a Restore Point that was created before
    the issue became known.

What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista?http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/2b3724d1-f4ad-5b26-16dc-3e9e66f4be5e1033.mspx

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:05 AM
  • Hi mabbi,

Thank you for the post.

Please understand that compbatt.sys is a hardware driver.

If the issue occurred right after installing updates and you did not install other hardware driver before that, the cause can be that an incompatible hardware driver update was installed on your computer.

Mabbi, have you tried Carey’s suggestion to enter Safe Mode and perform a System Restore?

If so, please do not install the hardware driver update. (Windows updates are listed with numbers like KB***** and driver updates are not.).

In the future, if your hardware devices are working properly, I suggest we do not install driver updates as some updates for third-party drivers listed on the Microsoft Windows Update website may not be the latest ones. Only for customer's convenience, Microsoft offers these devices on its update website. The third-party manufacturers supply the updates of the drivers to Microsoft. Then Microsoft includes these updates in the Windows Updates. When we scan for Windows Updates, these updates will be offered. However, sometimes the manufacturers do not supply the updates to Microsoft in time. Therefore, the version of the driver update may be older than the one offered directly by the manufacturer. If we install these updates, issues may occur.

If you prefer not to let the driver update show on the computer in the future, we can hide drive updates through Control Panel -> Windows Update.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:31 AM
  • Hey Tim,

I have the same exact problem except I dont have my Vista cds......Please Help

Shiva

Sunday, November 16, 2008 5:36 PM