locked
Software Update-Based Client Installation and Server 2K3 clients not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have configured SUP to deploy/upgrade the CCM client from 2007 to 2012 by following this guide. I migrated some test machines from my SCCM 2007 env to 2012 by changing the sitecode. Everything appears to work fine for Server 2008 clients; after some time the 2008 systems running the 2007 client get upgraded to 2012. However my Server 2003 systems are not getting upgraded from the 2007 client to the 2012 CCM client. I do see entries in the execmgr.log:

    Mandatory execution requested for program Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program and advertisement HCA20000
    Creating mandatory request for advert HCA20000, program Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Program, package HCA00003

    • I have boundaries and a boundary group configured for all the systems. (Otherwise I assume it wouldn't work at all for the 2008 systems.)
    • The intranet update service location GPO gets updated automatically after the site code is changed to the 2012 site code.

    I am not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:07 PM

Answers

  • I think I might have figured it out. Some of my test systems have automatic updates disabled. Once I enabled the GPO and set 3-0 the systems started trying to install the client. Waiting to see if this work on all my machines.
    • Marked as answer by JoelDB Friday, September 13, 2013 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:48 PM

All replies

  • I think I might have figured it out. Some of my test systems have automatic updates disabled. Once I enabled the GPO and set 3-0 the systems started trying to install the client. Waiting to see if this work on all my machines.
    • Marked as answer by JoelDB Friday, September 13, 2013 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:48 PM
  • (This may or may not be your issue.) The 2012 ConfigMgr client agent requires BITS 2.5 which is not standard on Windows Server 2003. This requirement is not installed by the agent installation as it was in ConfigMgr 2007. Thus, you may have to deploy this manually.

    I am confused though. You said you configured your SUP but then posted logs from execmgr.log? The two are unrelated. Did you actually create a program in your 2007 environment and advertise it?


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Hi Jason, thanks for your reply.

    The servers do have an appropriate version for Bits. It appears the issue was that WUA was disabled so the agent wasn't able to check WSUS for the Client Upgrade package that I was seeing in the execmgr.log on the client side.

    I did configure SUP by enabling Software Update-Based Client Installation. The only logs I was able to see any activity relating to this was in the client execmgr.log. Sorry for the confusion. I think it's working now although I have other issues not related to SCCM (SRP is blocking the Visual C++ prerequisites). I am working on getting exceptions entered for those installers.

    I should also say that I'm doing all this in SCCM 2012. The client site code gets migrated and then actions are performed.
    • Edited by JoelDB Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:01 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:59 PM