none
SCCM Software updates failing for past few months at alarming rate RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am using SCCM for patching in our environment and for the last 3 months or so a large number of clients are not getting updates and report back via monitor \ deployments \ error codes or 0x800705B4.  It gives me that error code and two different status' such as "Failed to install updates(s) and Failed to download update(s).  Prior to this issue happening we averaged about 90% compliance rates for most of our collections.  Now we are lucky if we get above 20% compliance.  I've WUA handler log and scans complete successfully and when I check windows update log it shows our wsus server (distribution point) and the correct port info.  Any help would be appreciated or if anyone has seen this before and can shed some light that would be great!  

    Thanks!!

    Monday, September 11, 2017 2:03 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

        Have you found any related errors in the WindowsUpdate.log on these clients? 

        Also for the updates' download and installation you can also examine these logs on the client-side: UpdatesDeployment.log, UpdatesHandler.log, CAS.log, DataTransferService.log, ContentTransferManager.log, LocationServices.log.

    Regards,

    Jimmy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:55 AM
    Moderator
  • The following steps fixed my issue.

    ust wanted to ping back with another cause that produces this issue to help anyone else. So basically after installing SCCM 1610 build it hosed our DP, I had to recreate the DP to get Application deployments working. Even after this Software Updates were not downloading, they would hang at 0% and would leave the following errors in DataTransferService.log:

    "Error sending DAV request. HTTP code 404, status 'Not Found'"

    "GetDirectoryList_HTTP('http://dp:port/SMS_DP_SMSPKG$/Content_xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx.x') failed with code 0x87d0027e."

    "Non-recoverable error retrieving manifest (0x87d0027e)."

    Cause

    For us, the cause was the "Authenticated Users" group had been removed (or not added when the DP was recreated) from the security permissions on the SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ and SMS_DP_SMSSIG$ IIS websites.

    Resolution

    If your Authenticated Users is missing from your SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ and SMS_DP_SMSSIG$ IIS websites, do the following to add the group back in:

    1. Open IIS Manager

    2. Under your server expand Site

    3. Expand Default Web Site

    4. Right click on SMS_DP_SMSPKG$ and select Edit Permissions, select the Security Tab and select Edit

    5. Click Add... and enter Authenticated Users then select OK, OK, OK (if you get access denied error you will need to take ownership first).

    6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for SMS_DP_SMSSIG$


    Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Thank you Alton. We had the same issue without our central SCCM DP$. Probably after the upgrade there the group for reading disappeared. There was Administrator and System group but nothing for authenticated/users group. I did this group manually and it immediately fixed the DP and all issues we had with this DP.

    Best regards, Ivan Versluis
    Networknet.nl Blog

    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:57 AM