none
Hyper-V Protection from Secondary DPM server fails RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a Primary DPM server to backup some Hyper-V VHD's.  I am trying to use a secondary DPM server to backup these to a DR site as well.  For some reason - I get an error when trying to create the protection group on the secondary DPM server.

What I am doing is - On the secondary server - I create a new protection group - I navigate to my Primary DPM server - Expand protected servers - Expand HyperV_host.domain.com and check to backup a child snapshot partition of a VHD.  when I get to the part of the Wizard in which the space is allocated for the protection group - I get the below error:

"DPM Cannot browse HyperVHost.domain.com because the agent is not responding.  If you installed an agent on HyperVHost.domain.com, the computer might be restarting.  Wait a few minutes after Windows starts for the agent to become available...."

The server is obviously online.  The primary DPM server has no issues with backing up the VHD's on this server.  Why can I not get my secondary DPM server to backup ...the backups...of these VHDs?  This error message would maybe indicate that the secondary DPM server is trying to backup the VHD's directly from the HyperVHost server and not from the DPM server.  I would think the Secondary DPM server would backup the backups and never need to contact the HyperVHost server directly?  The Agent error maybe because the agent on the HyperVHost is that of the primary DPM server - not the secondary DPM server.  I would think the secondary DPM server would not be able to communicate with the agent on the HyperVHost - causing this error?  Perhaps I am not using the proper procedures to backkup HyperV VHDs' from a primary DPM server to a secondary DPM server.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zach Smith
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Zach,

the secondary needs to communicate with HyperVhost for configuration purposes and "Switch protection" feature.
    Once configured it does backup the backup (take data from primary DPM).

Could it be that secondary DPM cannot talk to hyperVhost due to network configuration / name resolution?

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Zach,

the secondary needs to communicate with HyperVhost for configuration purposes and "Switch protection" feature.
    Once configured it does backup the backup (take data from primary DPM).

Could it be that secondary DPM cannot talk to hyperVhost due to network configuration / name resolution?

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:47 AM
  • Thaks for the reply.  I will investigate.  I was moving a data center over the weekend so I got side-tracked.  I'll let you know what I find.

Zach

Zach Smith
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:29 PM