Vista Ultimate is dead wrong RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, When I right click on C drive it shows I only have 30gb free. I know I don't have a 155gb on my C drive, heck I don't have 155gb on D dive either. I can't find out why it does this? Let me tell a little about the computer:

Dell XSP M1730

4gb Ram

Drive 0: 200gb loaded with Vista Ultimate

Drive 1: 200gb loaded with XP Pro

both are the same drives, SATA 7200rpm. When I boot into XP and look at the properties of Drive0, it shows 147gb free. So I know there can't be a giant file somewhere, it would show up on XP. So where did the 100+gbs of space go?

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:55 PM

Answers

•  Thanks for the reply. It turns out that since I was using Rollback when I used a disk cleaner to erase the empty space on the drive, Rollback saw this and kept the wiped files in its memory.  So I un-installed Rollback and all things are reading normal.   Rollback is a great program, but there are somethings you should not do while running it.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Since Windows Vista regards the installation drive as the C: drive by default, I suspect that the vista drive might be exactly the drive except for the one with 147GB free in Windows OS. Before going any further, please double-confirm the drive space in disk manager (DiskMgmt.msc) in both OS. Pay attention to the drive letter and size of the partition marked as System, Boot.

In addition, we might boot computer into Windows Vista and perform the following steps to shrink the drive space.

1. Perform a complete Disk Cleanup.

2. Set a smaller Page File for the virtual Memory.

3. Check the size of C:\Windows\winsxs folder, as it hold all critical system files and it gets rather big once you start installing software.

Hope it works!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:28 AM
  •  Thanks for the reply. It turns out that since I was using Rollback when I used a disk cleaner to erase the empty space on the drive, Rollback saw this and kept the wiped files in its memory.  So I un-installed Rollback and all things are reading normal.   Rollback is a great program, but there are somethings you should not do while running it.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 11:36 AM