DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair) RRS feed

• Question

• I was having some issues with Cortana on the recently released windows 10, so decided to run a SFC /Scan Now and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth.

DISM Failed with

"Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

The log is here: https://app.box.com/s/9ing5w3gs7b538d8nzqvz7r4y0msr78r

I could not understand the errors, only that it can't seem to find the source and google searching has gotten me no where fast.

SFC Fails with:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix someof them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Again I have had no luck in finding a fix.

CBS log is here: https://app.box.com/s/0zrlj0dnfx0mcjpoen7olqqawy1rp1ck

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:49 AM

Answers

• You need to mount an image of win 10 and point DISM to it.  This is how

If you get the error message "cannot find source files"you need to have an ISO file mounted and need to specify where it is located with the below command

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess  Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located.  Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Care to tell us more about the "cortana" issues?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:55 AM

All replies

• You need to mount an image of win 10 and point DISM to it.  This is how

If you get the error message "cannot find source files"you need to have an ISO file mounted and need to specify where it is located with the below command

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess  Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located.  Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

Thursday, August 6, 2015 1:55 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response I will give that a go and report back, I am curious though as to why it can't repair using the windows update server?

The problem I was having with Cortana was that it was saying it wasn't available in my region, I'm in the United Kingdom, Eventually after I got all the appropriate language options set to UK It worked but all the settings on the Cortana menu didn't make ant sense, I.E it wouls say things where off when they where on and the text wasn't reading correct, SFC did fix this and the menu is back to normal now.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:03 AM
  • No Joy with I'm Afraid.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
    [==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 2:41 AM
  • My Windows 10 laptop OS had this same issue and this command worked great to fix my corrupted files (or at least prepare the way for SFC /SCANNOW to work).  The trick as you stated is to point DISM to the Install.wim or the Install.swm if a company is building their own OS image (ex: OS + MS Office + xyz) where they use .swm files.

To anyone that has this fail I would suggest:

- Can you manually find the Install.wim file?  If you have a DVD or Boot key made from an ISO it should be \Sources\Install.wim.  If you are downloading Windows 10 as a free update from the internet that might require a search to find where the Install.wim is located (I installed from an .ISO)

- DISM does not appear to handle spaces in the path, so if it's something like d:\Downloads\Windows 10\Sources\Install.wim you will have probably have to use quotes like this: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:"d:\Downloads\Windows 10\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess"

Also: DISM may not able to fix files even with the path resolved without using these commands before it.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    DISM /Online  /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

SFC /SCANNOW

Hope this helps, YMMV and the usual qualifiers.  If I have errors let me know and I will re-edit my post.

• Proposed as answer by Unlim8ed Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for your quick response I will give that a go and report back, I am curious though as to why it can't repair using the windows update server?

The problem I was having with Cortana was that it was saying it wasn't available in my region, I'm in the United Kingdom, Eventually after I got all the appropriate language options set to UK It worked but all the settings on the Cortana menu didn't make ant sense, I.E it wouls say things where off when they where on and the text wasn't reading correct, SFC did fix this and the menu is back to normal now.

Cortana only works in the USA. You need to set all locale, regional and language settings to en-US.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:25 AM
  • I have the same problem as Steve reported regarding:

I created a DVD ISO image from MS, mounted that on my F drive.

I have followed the routine on this page as above, using:

prior to running the 'restore'.  However, each time getting the same error response.  I have restarted the PC after running the three comands and sfc /scannow.

I used the "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:F:\ESD-ISO\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess"

When that did not work I copied the DVD to a directory on my hard drive and tried the same routine with modified source:

"DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Win10\ESD-ISO\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess"

each time receiving the comment that the source file cannot be found.

any ideas would be welcome.

Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:34 PM
  • Is the ESD/ISO the same build as the OS?  Did the CSB.LOG reflect errors that were not in the OS?

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Thursday, October 22, 2015 11:58 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.  Good point about the the build, I originally did a clean build but via the update path from 8.1.  Will look later today regarding both and refer back.

Regards & thanks again

Friday, October 23, 2015 8:52 AM
  • Please see information below, I can only find the build number 10.0.10240 from the system, the DVD has a suffix to that (?)

ISO version of download and created DVD :

PS C:\Windows\system32> dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:1

Details for image : F:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1

Name : Windows 10 Pro

Description : Windows 10 Pro

Size : 14,013,639,246 bytes

WIM Bootable : No

Architecture : x64

Hal : acpiapic

Version : 10.0.10240

ServicePack Build : 16384

ServicePack Level : 0

Edition : Professional

Installation : Client

ProductType : WinNT

ProductSuite : Terminal Server

System Root : WINDOWS

Directories : 19819

Files : 101366

Created : 10/09/2015 - 07:24:42

Modified : 22/10/2015 - 19:41:45

Languages :

en-GB (Default)

Windows  10 on system:

Microsoft Windows [Uersion 10.0.10240]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All  rights  reserved,

C:\Users\Dauid>ver

Microsoft Windows [Uersion 10.0.10240]

The CBS only seems to refer to the lack for source files, (but DISM refers to "C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder"):

From CBS Log:

2015-10-23 15:54:48, Info                  CBS   

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

(p)        CSI Payload Corrupt                        amd64_microsoft.keydistributionservice.cmdlets_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_a40775a5b5907665\Kds.psd1

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

Summary:

Operation: Detect and Repair

Operation result: 0x800f081f

From DISM Log:

2015-10-23 15:51:55, Warning               DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=7728 TID=1836 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnetc

2015-10-23 15:51:55, Info                  DISM   DISM Provider Store: PID=7728 TID=1836 Attempting to initialize the logger from the Image Session. - CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnConnect

2015-10-23 15:45:05, Warning               DISM   DISM OS Provider: PID=6188 TID=6544 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

Similar warnings for other files.

I have an SSD  as the  C drive with the OS on it, most other, including users is on the D drive.

Could this be contributing?

I am struggling with analysing the CBS & DISM log files; do you want to view them, if so what's the best way of supplying them to you?

Friday, October 23, 2015 5:00 PM
  • From CBS Log:

2015-10-23 15:54:48, Info                  CBS   

=================================

Checking System Update Readiness.

(p)        CSI Payload Corrupt                        amd64_microsoft.keydistributionservice.cmdlets_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_a40775a5b5907665\Kds.psd1

Repair failed: Missing replacement payload.

I have never seen a PowerShell script as "missing replacement payload".

Do you have any copies of it?   For your convenience, here are mine:

PS>LS -Re -Fi kds.psd1 -Ea "SilentlyContinue" | sort LastWriteTime | ft Length, FullName -AutoSize

Length FullName
    ------ --------
       521 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.keydistributionservice.cmdlets_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_a40775a5b5907665\Kds.psd1
       521 C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_64\Microsoft.KeyDistributionService.Cmdlets\v4.0_10.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Kds.psd1
       521 C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Kds\Kds.psd1
       521 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.keydistributionservice.cmdlets_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16384_none_47e8da21fd33052f\Kds.psd1
       521 C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32\Microsoft.KeyDistributionService.Cmdlets\v4.0_10.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Kds.psd1
       521 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\Kds\Kds.psd1

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 24, 2015 2:51 AM
  • Hello Robert,

Thanks for your interest.  The "CSI Payload" comment was from the CBS log, I did retain the DISM & CBS log files, and I asked if there was an easy way I could upload them to you for review?

Regards

David

• Proposed as answer by dave_in_Mn Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:57 PM
    Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:47 AM
  •  The "CSI Payload" comment was from the CBS log

Try that PowerShell pipeline I gave and see what your results are?  If you have any of them perhaps you can just manually replace the missing one(s)?  The base of the recursion was the System drive root.   E.g. do a cd \  first.

If you only have one missing file I don't see any need to upload your logs.  However, usually the way that would be done is to a Public folder on your OneDrive and then Paste a link to either the file or the folder in here.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, October 24, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Kind Regards

David

Sunday, October 25, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Why won't Windows Update resolve the DISM image instead of having to mount an ISO file of which I have no idea how to do?
    Sunday, November 1, 2015 9:24 PM
  • No Joy with I'm Afraid.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Hey all, I thought I'd chime in since I found the fix to a similar problem. In my case, it was because a file named "Advanced.Theme-Dark_Scale-100.png" was poorly supplied by Microsoft in the DSIM/CBS restore archives. The fix is running a SFCFix.exe tool to fix that file.

• SFC - Advanced.Theme-Dark_Scale-100.png corrupt (MS Answers)
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/sfc-advancedtheme-darkscale-100png-corrupt/27c5b0f6-d121-4559-91c9-a2026eb9e8f0

• SFCFix - Fix Time (Synactive Forums)
      http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/16098-corrupted-files-cbs-panther-post122858.html#post122858
      ^^ DOWNLOAD AND RUN SFCFix.exe from here (or use ZIP and do it yourself) ^^

• Help me! I get Error 0x800f081f when run DISM.exe and BDOS System Crash
      http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/17321-help-me-i-get-error-0x800f081f-when-run-dism-exe-bdos-system-crash.html

• How do I repair the corrupted files found by sfc /scannow? “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.”
      http://superuser.com/questions/694349/how-do-i-repair-the-corrupted-files-found-by-sfc-scannow-windows-resource-pro

I followed instructions somewhere to check the CBS\cbs.log for errors. I then found the offending file's name in the preprocessed log sticking out like a sore thumb. ( findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" )

• Solved Dism online restore health function gets error 0x80240021
    • http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/41130-dism-online-restore-health-function-gets-error-0x80240021.html

A quick Google search then immediately led to the SFCFix post and utility. All it does is change permissions on the file so it is writeable, copies the HEALTHY version over, then changes the permissions back. You can do it yourself with a healthy copy of the file if you don't trust the EXE.

DSIM/CBS should then function as normal... also I CANNOT post formatted links because my account is not verified. This is my first post so.... deal with it. ( Icanhazpoints/verificationplz? )

You need to mount an image of win 10 and point DISM to it.  This is how

Yeah, this won't work. I tried it. Both in offline and online DSIM modes. The Win10 ISO available does not have the "Healthy" DarkTheme file on it. The only fix is that SFCFix.exe patch tool.

If this is indeed the answer to OP's comment, "Please propose as answer" so it can get pinned... it seems unethical to do it myself without knowing if it worked or not.
    • Proposed as answer by Cobalt Jacket Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cobalt Jacket Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:59 AM
    • Edited by Cobalt Jacket Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:04 AM formatting
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:44 AM
  • Just an FYI, I did exactly as you said and got the same error.   However, I noticed that "Install.wim" was actually "install.wim" with a lowercase letter.   Just changing that allowed it to find the .wim file and DISM worked!

I actually downloaded an original .ISO from Microsoft (the upgrade media creation tool did not have the .wim file in the sources folder for some reason).   I then just copied the "install.wim" file into the root c: on my SSD drive.

Then, I could just use "/source:WIM:C:\install.wim:1" in the DISM command.      

After trying tons of solutions via google search, this one finally worked.   SFC /scannow did not throw any errors.

-----------------------------------------

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:\WIM:L:\sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

------------------------

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:C:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired
    them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios. 

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:19 AM
  • Hei master ,

Why my windows 10 build 10586 error in sfc /scannow,

I try to use Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth , i got error massage

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

and i try again next steps

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

D: my iso build 10240 in Drive D

same error

Anyone can help me ?

Best regards,

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:27 AM
  • I solved the problem with opengl.dll as follows:

1. Mount the Windows 10 image or Disc.

2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.esd\1\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\

3. sfc /scannow

Good luck!

• Edited by vik12 Monday, December 21, 2015 10:12 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2015 10:11 PM
  • hi, where did you get the original iso from Microsoft?

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:49 PM
  • Hello

How to proceed with step 1? How to mount windows 10 image? My laptop is not rebooting, I can only access command prompt through advanced repair options..

Pls help. Thanks

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 9:19 AM
  • you can use a tool like iso to usb on a good computer to burn the iso onto a usb key then the windows repair command prompt should see it and assign it a drive letter

Charles Herrington

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:52 PM
  • I'm trying your fix right now Hope it works :) So far looks like I did it right
    Friday, January 29, 2016 8:10 PM
  • It didn't work Thankz still error message 0x0800f081f
    Friday, January 29, 2016 8:14 PM
  • I hope Microsoft Staff read this thread. Same problem here..

This is on a work machine. A serious turn-off for my enthusiasm for embracing Windows 10.

This situation is unacceptable  - I never ever once in 4 Years of running Windows 8 / 8.1 encountered something DISM couldn't fix (including malware infection aftermath).

If Microsoft is serious about Windows 10 competing it will take this thread seriously and fix pronto!

Sunday, January 31, 2016 11:08 PM

For all who are wondering, you can download the original Windows 10 ISO here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench?tduid=(cef6bcc9c3f275966b81fd57d6f6f7ac)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-9NKIf3ZB2avzE_w_N_nMFg)()

After hours of searching for a solution to this issue (i.e. error: 0x800f081f) , I FINALLY found the above link and was able to download the original Win 10 ISO (vs using the ISO created using the Media Creation Tool).

Note if you use the ISO from the Media Creation Tool, you will likely find install.esd in the folder vs. install.wim

Install.wim is part of the ORIGINAL ISO whereas install.esd is part of the ISO from the creation tool.

More info on this subject matter can be found here:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html#option1

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

After running... DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:C:\[insert folder name here]\install.wim:1 /limitaccess    I was able to correct the issue and then ran sfc / scannow with success.

Hope this helps someone.

• Proposed as answer by Z0mbie999 Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Z0mbie999 Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Z0mbie999 Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:00 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 2:31 AM
  • For all who are wondering, you can download the original Windows 10 ISO here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench?tduid=(cef6bcc9c3f275966b81fd57d6f6f7ac)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-9NKIf3ZB2avzE_w_N_nMFg)()

After hours of searching for a solution to this issue (i.e. error: 0x800f081f) , I FINALLY found the above link and was able to download the original Win 10 ISO (vs using the ISO created using the Media Creation Tool).

Note if you use the ISO from the Media Creation Tool, you will likely find install.esd in the folder vs. install.wim

Install.wim is part of the ORIGINAL ISO whereas install.esd is part of the ISO from the creation tool.

After running... DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:C:\[insert folder name here]\install.wim:1 /limitaccess    I was able to correct the issue and then ran sfc / scannow with success.

Hope this helps someone.

• Proposed as answer by wolfiethaman Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by wolfiethaman Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:51 PM
    • Proposed as answer by wolfiethaman Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:51 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2016 2:31 AM
  • MSD_7, as far as I am concerned, this is THE FIX and you are the MAN/WOMAN!

I have tried all the options in various threads and yours is the only one that actually works.  To reiterate, one must have the original Windows 10 ISO referenced above. Download it. Archive it.

There are several references to change the source type to "esd" as well as also using third party tools to convert an ESD file to WIM, etc but this does not matter as changing the source type does not change source content. This here confirms that the content in original ISO is different than that of the image that is generated by the media creation tool.

As a result I have now been able to run sfc /scannow and successfully repair corrupt files.

THANK YOU MSD_7!!!

• Edited by wolfiethaman Saturday, February 13, 2016 5:07 PM grammar check
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi to all.
    I'm having the same exact problem with DISM, and I'm not able to sort it out.
    At now I'm on the last Insider Preview version (14267.rs1_release.160213-0213) and even by downloading ISOs provided on the web for this version, I'm getting the infamous 0x0800f081f error.
    Anyone able to help me out? I'm missing something?
    Monday, February 22, 2016 8:59 AM
  •  I'm missing something?
    You could refer to the known symptoms.  E.g. opencl.dll is still a problem if you have Hyper-V enabled?  Fwiw that is the case for me with 10586.104.  My VM is at 14267 but it does not have Hyper-V enabled so it has never had that symptom.  Otherwise, what else do you see in your CBS.log?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:29 PM
  • I'm not using Hyper-V, actually. I found out about this problem starting by the fact that Windows Update is giving me the 0x80070005 error while looking for new Insider builds. Looking around the web, I learnt about the DISM procedure.
    So I came up with this other problem: the 0x0800f081f error.
    I'll attach my dism.log: hope it will help. About the CSB.log, I can't see anything Windows Update related, but I'm not very expert in reading this kind of logs, so I'm probably missing something. If you ask me, I can upload it somewhere and send the link to you.

dism.log -> http://pastebin.ca/3379356

• Edited by Davide3i Monday, February 22, 2016 8:06 PM
    Monday, February 22, 2016 8:02 PM
  • 2016-02-22 20:48:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6488 TID=7820  Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error

So, use that timestamp to find something in the CBS.log that is related to this event.  Obviously it may occur earlier and with a more accurate timestamp than the rough estimate that DISM is giving you.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, February 22, 2016 9:29 PM
  • OK, I am having the same DISM error. I have downloaded the iso file from the link provided. It is named "Win10_1511_English_x64.iso". Is this the correct file?

About mounting, I don't really understand the term. Do I just leave the iso file in the download directory or do I have to expand it to a DVD? Just exactly how does one mount an iso file?

Finally, "[insert folder]" in the instructions above. Is this a folder inside the compressed iso file, the folder where the iso file is located or a folder on the DVD where I have expanded the iso file?

Regards,

wrnoof

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:44 AM
  • 2016-02-22 20:48:00, Info                  DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=6488 TID=7820  Error in operation: source for package or file not found, ResolveSource() unsuccessful. (CBS HRESULT=0x800f081f) - CCbsConUIHandler::Error

So, use that timestamp to find something in the CBS.log that is related to this event.  Obviously it may occur earlier and with a more accurate timestamp than the rough estimate that DISM is giving you.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

2016-02-22 20:48:00, Info                  CBS    Failed to GetFile from WIM sandbox process [HRESULT = 0x80070003 - ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND]

I think that the problem may be a wrong version of the ISO file. It's the only thing that I can think of the problem.
    I'll wait for a new version of the Insider Build and install it manually.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:20 PM
  • I'll wait for a new version of the Insider Build and install it manually.

Meanwhile you could look in the CBS.log to find out what is really going on.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:35 PM
  • Yep, like I wrote in my last message, the CSB.log is telling me that the GetFile from WIM procedure is not finding the right file. The only conclusion I can think about is that I'm not using the proper ISO file.
    Thank you very much for the help you gave me.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Yep, like I wrote in my last message, the CSB.log is telling me that the GetFile from WIM procedure is not finding the right file.

Well I would expect it also to have told you what it was looking for; however, maybe not.  Then in that case you could run ProcMon to supplement whatever log messages you do find.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Well I would expect it also to have told you what it was looking for; however, maybe not.  Then in that case you could run ProcMon to supplement whatever log messages you do find.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I'm back. After some more trials, the CBS.log is telling me that

(p)    CBS MUM Corrupt            Microsoft-Windows-SenseClient-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14267.1000
    is missing. I'll try to look around the web and report you back.
    Thanks again for the help.

EDIT: looking around I found out a couple of other people have encountered this problem. Nobody was able to help them.
    • Edited by Davide3i Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:14 PM
  • the CBS.log is telling me that

(p)    CBS MUM Corrupt            Microsoft-Windows-SenseClient-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.14267.1000
    is missing.

It looks like it is some kind of servicing test.  But what a stupid name!  I got misled by this red herring too...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/build-14267-how-do-i-use-windows-update-as-the/b97735b2-ea83-489b-848a-18bfa0343edc?page=2&msgId=90f09a16-2a8b-49e8-83a4-9471c276705b

E.g. notice its full name would be  Windows Cyber Defense SenseClient.  Omitting those two middle words made me think it would be something more specific, not less.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:51 PM
  • So the problem is not that? I'm seeing a lot of people are having this problem with Windows Update and DISM, and there's no way to fix it.
    I think the only solution will be to wait.

EDIT: I don't have to care about the problem anymore. I don't know how, but my Insider feature got back to work. Let's say Microsoft had some fun making us worry for nothing.
    • Edited by Davide3i Wednesday, February 24, 2016 7:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 6:35 PM
  • Cant start it to.I believe that media creation tool makes different ISO of the windows 10 then the one downloaded directly from MS site.And when you use MC tool edition it just doesn't work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench?tduid=%28cef6bcc9c3f275966b81fd57d6f6f7ac%29%28256380%29%282459594%29%28TnL5HPStwNw-9NKIf3ZB2avzE_w_N_nMFg%29%28%29

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 11:27 PM
  • That is it worked like a charm !Thank you
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:02 AM
  • Hi

I'm a total newb, and it took me a while to realise that "mounting" is different from just "downloading into the downloads directory and leaving it there".

Apparently Win 8 - 10 can "mount" an .iso file (i.e. make the file look like a drive on your computer) by just right-clicking and selecting the menu option. However, my Win 10 was so broken this didn't work, so I had to dowload WinCDEmu, which gave me the option on R click.

So: I downloaded Win10_1511_English_x64.iso

from 

as above - into the downloads folder, R clicked the .iso file [after installing WinCDEmu], chose "select drive letter and mount" - in my case I chose D:, as it was spare.

I then put "D:" where the X is in the post at the top of this thread, ran it and it finally completed successfully after about 6 hours' frustration, hanging at 20% and failing.

I hope this helps other ignoramuses like me.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 4:26 PM
  • I had the same questions.

After downloading the iso file you can right click on it to have it mounted. After this, on my computer, it shows up as an s: drive.

On my computer the [insert folder] is "s:\sources". Also note the "c:\" goes away before the [insert folder].

The MSD_7 instructions worked perfectly. Thank you.

Sunday, March 6, 2016 12:32 AM
  • DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

I have tried the above suggestion but the problem is that I don't even know where the ISO file is, because I can only see drive C: and it is a Microsoft Surface bought straight off the shelf.

Both the following commands have been performed without errors.

Please help.

• Proposed as answer by skordilis Monday, July 25, 2016 3:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2016 3:38 AM
  • I solved the problem with opengl.dll as follows:

1. Mount the Windows 10 image or Disc.

2. Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.esd\1\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\

3. sfc /scannow

Good luck!

If you use nVidia GPUs, you'll perpetually have this "problem" appear because the nVidia drivers use the full, unadulterated version of opengl.dll, while the Microsoft supplied version is modified and actually reduced in features. You'll end up having to make sure that Windows Update doesn't overwrite your driver-supplied opengl.dll or risk crippling performance in games and other programs using your nVidia GPU.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016 12:00 PM
  • @PeterInBrisbane, @MSD_7 and @Zigzag3134x. I like to thank you all.
    After days and days and days of despare, SFC /scannow is now announcing that the system files of my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 are successfully repaired. Hallelujah!
    What I do not understand is that it is so damned complicated and what I also do not understand is that a company like Microsoft let this happen without feeling ashamed about this monstrosity.

@thejynxed
    I do not fully understand what you are saying, nevertheless, what is your suggestion for 'to make sure that Windows Update doesn't overwrite your driver-supplied'?

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 3:50 AM
  • I too lack the "Mount" option when right clicking.  In that case, Open With --> Windows Explorer and you'll notice that it will open and mount the image so seamlessly you may not notice what it did.  But if you look in the address bar in Explorer you'll see it didn't just open the ISO as a folder, but did in fact assign a drive letter.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 6:36 PM
  • Thank you so much for posting this. It helped me fix the error: 0x800f081f.

I came here because Windows Store don't want to download a game and gives me an error 0x80240024.

You are my hero, MSD_7.

Have a nice day.

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:57 PM

For all who are wondering, you can download the original Windows 10 ISO here:

After running... DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:C:\[insert folder name here]\install.wim:1 /limitaccess    I was able to correct the issue and then ran sfc / scannow with success.

Hope this helps someone.

I can't Thank you enough! I have spend hours, days and nights to try fixing this problem I had.. at the end I gave up and did a Windows reset.. when it was done I was surprised this issue was still there. Now i am so glad that i scrolled down on this page or else i would reinstalled the whole operation system.. Thank you so much for this i specially made a forum account to Thank you! God blesses you!!!
    Monday, May 9, 2016 6:09 PM
  • MSD_7 -  Thank you so much. Worked like a charm.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 6:50 PM
  • My Windows 10 laptop OS had this same issue and this command worked great to fix my corrupted files (or at least prepare the way for SFC /SCANNOW to work).  The trick as you stated is to point DISM to the Install.wim or the Install.swm if a company is building their own OS image (ex: OS + MS Office + xyz) where they use .swm files.

To anyone that has this fail I would suggest:

- Can you manually find the Install.wim file?  If you have a DVD or Boot key made from an ISO it should be \Sources\Install.wim.  If you are downloading Windows 10 as a free update from the internet that might require a search to find where the Install.wim is located (I installed from an .ISO)

- DISM does not appear to handle spaces in the path, so if it's something like d:\Downloads\Windows 10\Sources\Install.wim you will have probably have to use quotes like this: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:"d:\Downloads\Windows 10\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess"

Also: DISM may not able to fix files even with the path resolved without using these commands before it.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

SFC /SCANNOW

Hope this helps, YMMV and the usual qualifiers.  If I have errors let me know and I will re-edit my post.

I had an upgraded Windows 10 x64, so I downloaded the official ISO with the MediaCreationTool.exe.

Sadly, that does not contain Install.wim. So I downloaded Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation Version (file: 10586.0.151029-1700.TH2_RELEASE_CLIENTENTERPRISEEVAL_OEMRET_X64FRE_EN-US.ISO). That ISO did work with the last dism command you gave. I hope it helps others :)

Devnullius

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 1:14 PM
  • I tryed with the iso, mounted it unit J:

Tiped this:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:J:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

But it keep telling cant found the source..., loads 20% then error

What im doing wrong??

All help will be welcome

Thanks all

Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:31 AM
  • What im doing wrong??

Probably nothing.  Do you know which file it is trying to resolve?  You could use ProcMon to find out.  In case it is one that others are apparently having their symptoms about (e.g. involved with the rollback of the May cumulative update) have a look at cmiadapter.dll

Here's a PowerShell pipeline which you could use to help check that case.  Of course you could use it to check your own case by treating the cmiadapter.dll term as a placeholder.

PS>LS -Re -Fi cmiadapter.dll -Fo -Ea "SilentlyContinue" | sort LastWriteTime | ft Length, FullName -AutoSize

Note that even though I have specified -AutoSize for the Format-Table stage the actual length of the output lines depends on the window size and even then the most you may see will be enough of the path found to fully identify the version of the module you are looking for.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 26, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Three days of work later and you have provided the solution. Thank you so much MSD_7
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:26 PM
  • Shane_Creamer, I found this page because I got the same dism error by trying to install .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 without an Internet connection by keeping a copy of the subset of the WinSxS directory that's necessary to install the framework.  It was you pointing out that the quotes on the right end go around the /LimitAccess when adding a /Source, that solved it for me.  

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Thank you so f...ing much! This finally solved it for me, after many, many days trying all kinds of different 'solutions' that did nothing to actually solve the problem. Thank you, MSD_7!
    Sunday, June 5, 2016 4:02 PM
  • The One and Only Solution!!! You saved my day.

Fred Diaz

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 12:22 PM
  • Hope this helps someone.

Absolutely helped me.

Found this while searching for a solution to high CPU usage by tiworker.exe.  Found corrupt files that sfc /scannow couldn't fix.  Following your instructions in bold after downloading the ISO file resolved my issues.

• Edited by Tony2766 Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:40 AM
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 11:38 AM
  • This works, please copy the command and use. Only replace your drive letters. I personally had it fail at least 20 times, but when i used this command it completed successfully. One thing to note is i have just copied my corporate WIM to the drive and referred as a pointer.
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:42 PM
  • I have tried...

Still no dice

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.esd\1\Windows\WinSxS\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..xwddmdriver-wow64-c_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10586.0_none_3dae054b56911c22\

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\sources\install.esd:1

C:\Windows\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:ESD:F:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

C:\Windows\system32>

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Wonderful ! Thank you even though my ISO had Install.wim it kept failing until I downloaded from the link you provided MSD_7, shame Microsoft can't provide solutions for their own products!

Thanks again.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 2:02 PM
  • ISO link from MSD_7 doesn't work anymore

edit: just bullshit from google chrome. link works with internet explorer

• Edited by skordilis Monday, July 25, 2016 1:19 PM update
    Monday, July 25, 2016 1:08 PM
  • You don't need to download the entire ISO  - 

You can use a utility to fix the corrupt file. 

http://appuals.com/repair-corrupt-opencl-dll-in-windows-10/

A.)  sfc /scannow

B.) Download the SFCFix and the zip file from the link and follow the directions. 

the ISO is 4.2G  -- and if you run scannow  you can find the files that are corrupt and fix them without the ISO. 

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 11:16 PM
  • I actually was copy/pasting the dism commands from other users and then I noticed one had the "source:WIM:..." with lowercase wim like that "source:wim:.." The lower case one worked for me.... It was just that simple and took me more than 4 hours of research and experimenting the command I used was

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

H is a mounted .iso downloaded from:

Hope someone else get's lucky too

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:51 AM
  • Just as a heads-up to anyone following this thread, I'm about 5 hours into trying to use a bunch of the variations shown here, having had the same SFC failure/DISM failure, tried to locate a local image blah blah...

Unfortunately, the problem that led me to this in the first place is an inability to mount ISOs! It showed up originally with the ISO mounting, but not all the files in the ISO were visible in the mounted volume. Now I just get a message telling me the ISO is corrupted.

I have a strong feeling that downloading the ISO from Microsoft is therefore not going to help.

Monday, August 1, 2016 12:16 AM
  • The link isn't working for me in IE or Chrome. It says that the file is not found.

• Edited by AwlIAm Tuesday, August 2, 2016 10:49 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 10:46 AM
  • So I put the Windows.iso file I downloaded from the the media creation Tools in my C:\User\UserMe\Download\Microsoft folder and in the dism COMMAND I used that path immediately before Sources, (
    An error occurred while processing WIM:"C:\Users\Lester\Downloads\Microsoft"Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess" but got the following, "The specified path was not found.
    Ensure that the argument is valid and that the path exists."  Do I need a WIM file or will the ISO file work? If I do need a WIM file, where can I find that for Windows 10 Pro?

• Edited by Lester Carib Monday, August 22, 2016 8:56 PM Correction
    Monday, August 22, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Does any of this have to do with

(p)	CBS MUM Corrupt			Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15048.0

Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:50 AM