Cannot load Active-X components. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a brand new computer -- fresh install of Windows 7 x64 with SP1 and all available OS updates.  When I get to a website that needs to load an Active-x component, I get an error saying that it failed to find the website to load the component.  I have checked all the security settings on my IE9 installation and all pertinant settings to allow (enable or prompt) active-x components are set correctly.  I have compared the settings to a similar computer that is working correctly for loading active-x components.

I'm stuck.  I've triple checked everything without success in finding any differences between the two computers.  I'm begining to think it has something to do with another piece of software, but don't have any idea where to start looking.  The new computer has virtually no software and only has the basic extra add-ons like java, Adobe reader, and Adobe flash, but these are the same on the computer that works correctly.

Any thoughts on what could be preventing axtive-x components from loading on the new computer?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Internet Explorer by turn off and turn on the IE feature in the control panel>Programs and Features.

Turn Windows features on or off

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off

Also, take a Clean Boot check whether it is a software conflict issue.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DRGESCH Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:57 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:15 PM
  • I've tried this, but with no success.  I'm wondering if there is some way to uninstall and reinstall (or repair) the active-x components independent of the internet explorer installation.  Can active-x installations be repaired without manipulating internet explorer?
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:56 PM
  • When I get to a website that needs to load an Active-x component, I get an error saying that it failed to find the website to load the component.

Maybe you should interpret that message literally?  Sounds like a possible DNS problem.  Then you would try to work around it as such.   E.g. find out what host name is causing a problem, then pre-load that name in the dnscache using a ping -n 1 -w 1 command (or add it to your HOSTS file), then see if IE still has a problem with that name.  Developer Tools, Network Capture may help check this hypothesis at least to find the name involved.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

Of course, that was my first reaction that it was a DNS resolution problem.  I checked to make sure everything was resolving properly -- even checked on an identical machine in the same domain behind the same firewall with the same internal DNS servers.  Ran all DNS diagnostics.

Since the machine is in production, I want to avoid removing it and reinstalling everything.  Was looking for an easier fix.  There must be some way to directly manipulate/repair the active-x functionality.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:10 PM
  • I checked to make sure everything was resolving properly -- even checked on an identical machine in the same domain behind the same firewall with the same internal DNS servers.  Ran all DNS diagnostics.

Unfortunately with IE it is not that simple.  It does something concerning the timing of lookups that makes it decide that they aren't working.   I don't think there is a tuning parameter for this.  (If I had to guess I'd say it was remnants of an old (misguided) feature of IE4 called AutoScan that causes this.)  Many times I have avoided this symptom simply by pre-loading the dnscache with enough of the applicable lookup (e.g. especially the  A(Host) record with the IP address).  Similarly if the initial rendering involves a redirect you may eliminate its early lookups and go straight to the final URL or at least do something to help with the final URL.

If the host is cooperative you may be able to get useful results simply by using the IP address instead of the Host name and avoid lookups completely.  Etc.

BTW what does your Network Capture show you?  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:21 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply.

All this sounds interesting, but if you step back and think of this in practical terms for a minute it seems crazy that one would need to go through that level of a work -around to make this work.  Remember that the active-x stuff works perfectly well on an identical machine deployed at the same time.  So it is not the network or the site.  It is a problem with the individual machine.  I'm merely looking for a resolution to repair the active-x functionality for this machine.  Obviously, during the OS update process -- or in the process of installing something like Adobe Flash -- the active-x functionality was compromised.  I'm thinking there has to be a way to target a repair or reinstallation of active-x specifically.

I thought that the active-x repair could be accomplished in tandem with some IE browser manipulations, but it would seem that may not be the case.  If I'm hearing you correctly I think you are telling me there is nothing that can be done to the active-x installation short of reimaging the machine?  It is important to keep all machines as standard as possible.  Applying unique patches or work-arounds usually leads to further troubles later on that are more difficult to resolve due to the complexity that is created by making the machines uniquely different that the others.

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:42 PM
  • It is a problem with the individual machine.

Apparently.

If I'm hearing you correctly I think you are telling me there is nothing that can be done to the active-x installation short of reimaging the machine? 

If you were "hearing" me correctly you would see that I am saying that your diagnostics are inconclusive.   I am trying to give you a simple way to try to understand your symptoms better.  Only.

However, I will now add that if you establish that connectivity is not an issue (something that I do not believe is proved yet), then you could go on to see if there is a permissions problem which could be causing this (misleading) symptom.  For that I would use ProcMon and to try to make an analysis using it practical you would want to have two traces, one of it working normally and one of the problem case, otherwise both as identical as possible.

If reimaging the machine seems like less work and you are not that interested in understanding your symptom by all means, reimage the machine.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 28, 2013 2:21 PM
    Answerer