Windows 7 search conundrum RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working on my photo database for the last few days and I dont know how to do a particular search. it used to work perfectly in XP, but now, it's busted. it doesn't miss pictures, just brings up too many irrelevant ones.

some of my photos have the code "SC" and "PA" to refer to 2 different people in them.
    I want to do a search that will show me all the pictures that contain SC AND PA in the filename. it doesn't matter if they are out of order, or if there's other words between the terms
    so, ideally, the search would find pictures named:
    2009 SC beach PA
    2005 mountain PA SC

I have tried searching for
    PA SC
    PA+SC
    *SC* *PA*

but this is not working. I get pictures that are named "2003 SC forest" which doesn't include PA.
    I want to do a search that shows me files that have GA but not Garden.
    also, how do I do a search only filenames? it's showing me pictures that are called "tree 5", but that are contained within a folder called garden...

thanks for any ideas
    Monday, November 23, 2009 2:26 AM

Answers

• thanks for the idea
    win7 seems to have it a little different. the choice im given is "search filenames only in non-indexed, and name and content in indexed" OR "always name and content"

I did find a workaround. searching for:[ "sc" AND "pa" ] seems to be the right combination, no false positives, no missing pics. it HAS to be in that combination though. HAS to have "quotes" and the AND parameter has to be in caps.

i really wish they'd just build in an advanced search feature

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:59 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

• Control panel > folder options > search tab > "always search file names only" and "find partial matches".
    I'm on Vista right now but this should also work for 7.
    Seesons greetings!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 3:04 AM
  • thanks for the idea
    win7 seems to have it a little different. the choice im given is "search filenames only in non-indexed, and name and content in indexed" OR "always name and content"

I did find a workaround. searching for:[ "sc" AND "pa" ] seems to be the right combination, no false positives, no missing pics. it HAS to be in that combination though. HAS to have "quotes" and the AND parameter has to be in caps.

i really wish they'd just build in an advanced search feature

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, November 24, 2009 8:59 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Glad to hear the issue was resolved.

At same time, I would like to share the following link with you:

Windows Search Advanced Query Syntax

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:05 AM
  • I found a great search program, tiny and fast. I strongly recommend it for searches: http://www.voidtools.com/

called "search everything", it works very intuitively, i dont need to type asterisks and quotes all over the place. it just WORKS RIGHT
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:06 PM