Help finding drivers for A8N32-sli-deluxe motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I hope I'm in the right place for asking this question...

I'm looking for help with finding drivers for 2 things in my device manager.

1) Mass Storage Controller (under properties, details, the device description is "Mass Storage Controller" as well)

2) unknown device (under properties, details, says unknown device, but under hardware id's it says ACPI/PNPB02F *PNPB02F

Would appreciate any feedback or ideas.... 

Thanks so much!

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hello telute,

The item ACPI/PNPB02F *PNPB02F. This will probably not be resolved successfully by Vista as it stands right now. It is probably an ACPI item on the system board that does not have a driver in the Vista product as of yet. That same item was not resolved on my AN8-SLI Deluxe board which is similar to yours except for the full speed PCI-E channels you have on both 16 PCI-E slots.

The item MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER. Did you leave the Silicon Image raid controller turned on in the BIOS? If you are using the nForce 4 controller for the SATA drives and the nForce 4 controller is not in raid mode, the SI controller being turned on with no driver available for Vista is the most likely cause. There is a setting for that in the Onboard Device settings screen in the advanced screens section of your bios. Or vice versa the controllers.

You might search around with the ACPI/PNPB02F *PNPB02F line on the 'net to see if someone has a solution for that now. It was a few days back when I was working with that issue on my ASUS system with the Vista Beta.

Best regards,

lnelson15

Friday, June 30, 2006 12:20 AM

All replies

• I guess it would help if I listed what I had in my computer...

AMD X2 4200+

A8N32-SLI Deluxe

2gb ram

Sound Blaster X-FI

Power Color Theatre 550 Pro (tuner card)

evga 6800 GS Ultra video card

I'm using 4 SATA hard drives...(not in raid)

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:34 PM
  • Hello telute,

The item ACPI/PNPB02F *PNPB02F. This will probably not be resolved successfully by Vista as it stands right now. It is probably an ACPI item on the system board that does not have a driver in the Vista product as of yet. That same item was not resolved on my AN8-SLI Deluxe board which is similar to yours except for the full speed PCI-E channels you have on both 16 PCI-E slots.

The item MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER. Did you leave the Silicon Image raid controller turned on in the BIOS? If you are using the nForce 4 controller for the SATA drives and the nForce 4 controller is not in raid mode, the SI controller being turned on with no driver available for Vista is the most likely cause. There is a setting for that in the Onboard Device settings screen in the advanced screens section of your bios. Or vice versa the controllers.

You might search around with the ACPI/PNPB02F *PNPB02F line on the 'net to see if someone has a solution for that now. It was a few days back when I was working with that issue on my ASUS system with the Vista Beta.

Best regards,

lnelson15

Friday, June 30, 2006 12:20 AM
  • Thanks for much for the information!  Very much appreciated.  You were exactly right.  I had the SI Raid set as SATA2 I think... I had thought I needed it on in order to use all 4 sata ports.  I was wrong.

thanks again!

Rick

Sunday, July 2, 2006 11:22 PM
  • I have the same very annoying ACPI\PNPB02F Unknown device issue with Vista. And we are not alone as I have read many reports of this same issue. I wonder if it has to do with a specific motherboard, chipset or a specific audio device.

I have a VIA KT600 chipset on a K7VT4APro asrock mainboard with a Via VT8233/A AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller.

I have read reports that it has something to do either with a midi port or a game port but if I delete it the USB sync cradle with my Dell Axim Pocket PC does not respond.

The unknown device issue pops up asking for resolution everytime I boot the PC. I really wish there was some way just to leave it alone until a driver turns up.

Monday, July 3, 2006 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

Using devcon.exe, a Microsoft replacement for device manager, I got these results when searching for ACPI\PNPB02F on an ASUS AN8-SLI Deluxe mobo.

C:\i386>devcon hwids *pnpb02f*
    ACPI\PNPB02F\3&2411E6FE&0
        Name: Standard Game Port
        Hardware ID's:
            ACPI\PNPB02F
            *PNPB02F
    1 matching device(s) found.

I am not sure why you are getting the effect you are upon deletion.

Best regards,

Lee Nelson

Monday, July 3, 2006 9:20 AM
  • Not sure if this will help, but I had the same message about the uknown device. I finally tracked it down to the game port on my Audigy card. I removed the card during the install and didn't get the message. After install I put the card back in and loaded Creative Vista drivers and all was fine.

Not sure if you can load the drivers later as I couldn't install Vista until I fixed that problem (vista install aborted at that point).

Monday, July 3, 2006 1:24 PM
  • I'm running an Asrock K-8Upgrade 1689 (something like that... lost the box) that runs on an ALi chipset, and I'm getting a similar error message.  The proc is a AMD 64 3200+, and the built-in sound is the Realtek AC-97, which, to the best of my knowledge, does not feature a game port.  I get the same unknown device error message.
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 12:50 AM
  • THe AC-97 DOES have support for the Game Port AND the Midi Port.  Your mobo just needs to have the pin connection for the game port, and you need the socket connector to the game port.

You need to check your bios functionality for them, disable BOTH the GAME PORT & MIDI PORT SUPPORT IN BIOS for VISTA.

Thank you Copenhagen for mentioning Game Ports in your post. 

My ASUS a8n32-sli deluxe has BIOS options for AC97 Audio, Game Port and Midi controlers. 

I disabled the game and midi in BIOS and rebooted Vista64 and the PNPB02F dissappeared.  Smile

Monday, April 16, 2007 7:51 AM
  • This is almost a year later and there still is not a solution.  ANYONE having this problem please bug ASUS for a Vista Compatible Driver for the GAME and MIDI ports.  Disabling them in the BIOS doesn't allow you to still use those ports.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Disabiling the ports in the BIOS does not allow you to use them.  This problem has exsisted for over a year and there hasn't been a driver released to fix it yet.  If anyone is having this problem, please contact ASUS and complain.  The more that do, the more likely a fix is.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 11:18 PM