none
WDP Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have about 30,000 desktops that will be using Steady State.
    So far I have an XP image with Steady State installed (WDP disabled - of course, else the imaging fails).

Now I place the workstations in an AD OU, and via a GPO I can turn WDP on (created a batch file with "C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState\SCTUI.exe" /EnableWDPAndReboot in it).

The next challenge is - how do I now change the WDP protection to "Retain all changes permanently" ???

My initial thought was - why dont I enable it on the XP machine I am about to image (without actually switching on WDP) - is that at all possible? Can I change the WDP setting to "Retain all changes permanently" without actually switching WDP on?

If not, can I do it via a vbs script and a GPO? If yes, what EXACTLY is the script...I dont want just a snippet, cause I wouldnt know what to do with it.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom, thanks for the post. I'd like to inform you that though we cannot change to "Retain all changes permanently" without turning on WDP, we can try a script shared by one of our users to achieve this. 

dim objNet
    On Error Resume Next

‘ Identify the computer to manage
    Const strComputer= “.”

Const WDP_MODE_COMMIT = 2

Const SUCCESS = 0
    Const FAILURE = 1

set objWbemServices = GetObject (”winmgmts:\\” & strComputer & “\root\wmi”)
    set setWdpObjects = objWbemServices.ExecQuery (”SELECT * FROM WDP_Control”)

For Each objWdp In setWdpObjects
    objWdp.CurrentMode = WDP_MODE_COMMIT
    objWdp.Put_
    Next

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.echo “FAILURE”
    Return FAILURE
    Else
    Wscript.echo “SUCCESS”
    Return SUCCESS
    End If 

Meanwhile, as we do not support custom script development in this forum, you can refer to the following thread on how to write your own WDP related scripts:

Does anyone have any sample WMI code for Windows Disk Protection?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/bd28152a-676b-44c3-9890-557cd950bc89/

You can also check the following KB article for information:

Description of the API for the Windows Disk Protection feature in Windows SteadyState
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=938335

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Tom, thanks for the post. I'd like to inform you that though we cannot change to "Retain all changes permanently" without turning on WDP, we can try a script shared by one of our users to achieve this. 

dim objNet
    On Error Resume Next

‘ Identify the computer to manage
    Const strComputer= “.”

Const WDP_MODE_COMMIT = 2

Const SUCCESS = 0
    Const FAILURE = 1

set objWbemServices = GetObject (”winmgmts:\\” & strComputer & “\root\wmi”)
    set setWdpObjects = objWbemServices.ExecQuery (”SELECT * FROM WDP_Control”)

For Each objWdp In setWdpObjects
    objWdp.CurrentMode = WDP_MODE_COMMIT
    objWdp.Put_
    Next

If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    Wscript.echo “FAILURE”
    Return FAILURE
    Else
    Wscript.echo “SUCCESS”
    Return SUCCESS
    End If 

Meanwhile, as we do not support custom script development in this forum, you can refer to the following thread on how to write your own WDP related scripts:

Does anyone have any sample WMI code for Windows Disk Protection?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/bd28152a-676b-44c3-9890-557cd950bc89/

You can also check the following KB article for information:

Description of the API for the Windows Disk Protection feature in Windows SteadyState
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=938335

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi,

That code works if I execute it while logged on locally to the computer.

But it does not run via a GPO computer\startup setting.

I have also decided that enough time has been wasted on this configuration - so I am not going to use it.

Thank you,
    Tom

Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hi Tom,
    I am the Microsoft PM for SteadyState. We are always happy to hear from people using SteadyState, with both success stories and with pain points. This information is invaluable for our effort to improve our products.
    Would you mind sharing some information about your company and the way you use SteadyState? (type of business/industry, environment in which SteadyState is used, operating systems, etc are all helpfull).

When you say "I am not going to use it", do you mean SteadyState, or this script scenario? What will you use instead?

You can reply privatly to wss4win7@microsoft.com

Best regards,

Eyal
    WSS PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

I am not going to use the script, but instead will customize Steady State as much as possible in the image we will deploy.

I also tried to email you, but the message NDR'ed

<wss4win7@microsoft.com>: host
    winse-6216-mail1.customer.frontbridge.com[205.248.106.64] said: 550 5.1.1
    User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Regards,
    Tom
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:00 AM