none
Project 2016 bug: show bar splits in layout Gantt Chart error "An unexpected error occurred"? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Try this: right-click the Gantt Chart area. Select "Layout" and remove the checkmark called "Show bar splits". The layout window disappears and an error message window pops up "An unexpected error occurred".

This happens in the latest version of Microsoft Project 2016 and some previous updates as well.

Anyone has any ideas how to avoid this and if this is a known bug?

Regards,

Theo

Sunday, September 18, 2016 8:43 AM

All replies

• It's a known bug now.

Doesn't happen in MSP2010. Does happen in MSP2016. Also happens if format, layout.

Sunday, September 18, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Dear Trevor Rabey,

This bug only appears in Project 2016. In Project 2013 and older it works fine. The bug was already present in a Windows 10 (pre anniversary update) with Office 2016 and Project 2016 of a few months ago.

Is there any way to report this bug to Microsoft or do I have to wait for an MVP like Dale Howard to report this?

Thank you in advance,

Theo

Monday, September 19, 2016 9:28 AM
  • The latest public update of October '16 does not solve the issue which does not exist in the click-to-run version.

A possible workaround could be using a macro (with some buttons inserted to the Quick Access Toolbar), as follows:

Sub ShowSplits()
           GanttShowBarSplits
    End Sub
    Sub HideSplits()
           GanttShowBarSplits Display:=False
    End Sub

Or you can simply open VBE by pressing <Alt>+<F11> combination, and just enter ? GanttShowBarSplits(False) or ? GanttShowBarSplits in the Immediate Window.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:46 PM
  • Dear Ismet Komaan,

The bug did go away after the latest update!

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Although I didn't try your macro suggestions yet, they seem to be a perfect solution for all who still experience this problem.

However ... I have all the latest updates and the bug is gone! Don't forget that updating Windows and Office is not sufficient. You really need to update Project as well. Project is regarded to be a separate install next to the main Office installation. To be sure you have all the updates for Project go to "File > Account > Update Options > Update Now".

My version of Project is "1609 (Build 7369.2038)" and it's Microsoft Project 2016 Professional MSO (16.0.7329.1017) 32 bit.

Regards,

Theo

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Theo,

Thank you for the feedback. And I am glad it has been solved with the latest update.  

That's correct; the bug does not exist in the Click-to-run version updated (your product - 16.0.7329). But it is still there in MSI version updated (Winproj <-- 16.0.4444).

Update info: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118342#bookmark-officeinstall

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/projectsupport/project-2016-public-updates/

Kind Regards.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:50 PM