none
Sub tasks not showing on report unless displayed (expanded) in Gantt chart RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a report based on a simple filter. I have found that sub tasks only appear on the report if they are displayed on the Gantt chart. If only the summary task is displayed they don't appear. As soon as I expand a summary task to show all the sub tasks, then the sub tasks appear on the report.

Why this is occurring? And how can I stop if from happening?

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:18 PM

Answers

• We all "want" a lot of things "regardless" but sometimes we have to settle for the way things are and make the best of it.

If you use outline, show all subtasks, it will expand every summary in one click. You just have to remember to do it when you run the report. I have been doing it like this for about 20 years and it is no big deal.

It would be easy to record a macro which does the expansion and then runs the report, but it is hardly worth the bother.

• Marked as answer by muaddib32 Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:26 AM

All replies

• I am not at all sure what it is that you are trying to stop happening, or why.

The filter will only operate on the visible tasks. That's how it works. Sometimes this can be a bit inconvenient if you forget to expand the summaries to reveal the tasks that you need the filter to operate on. Other times this is a good feature, and useful.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:52 AM
  • My project has several hundred sub tasks. I have a report that lists the tasks due to be performed today. I don't want to have to manually expand every summary task on the Gantt chart before I open the report. I want the relevant sub-tasks to be displayed regardless.

Should I use some other technique to 'filter' the tasks on the report?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:05 AM
  • We all "want" a lot of things "regardless" but sometimes we have to settle for the way things are and make the best of it.

If you use outline, show all subtasks, it will expand every summary in one click. You just have to remember to do it when you run the report. I have been doing it like this for about 20 years and it is no big deal.

It would be easy to record a macro which does the expansion and then runs the report, but it is hardly worth the bother.

• Marked as answer by muaddib32 Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:43 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Okay, I have added "Show all subtasks" and "Outline Level 1" to my quick access toolbar. Now I just have to remember to go to the Gantt chart (I'm often in Team Planner or Resource Usage), click on "Show all subtasks", then open the report. To my mind they are completely separate documents so I can't see why how one is displayed impacts on the other, but that's how the MS coders have written it. Not the way I would have done it. As you say, however, sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 3:48 AM