Team Foundation Server 2013 MP discoveries not working. RRS feed

• Question

• We are standing up a TFS 2013 instance.  We copied over our prod data to new hardware and performed the upgrade.  The system seems to be working, testing is going on now.  

I brought in the Team Foundation Server 2013 Management Pack ver 1.0.0.1 into SCOM and applied the run as account. 

First question, in the documentation it shows to apply this to all objects and add in your application tier server(s) into the more secure area to control where the account goes.  Doing this caused a slew of "System Center Management Health Service Credentials Not Found Alert Message" as every other server didn't have rights to run this account.  

Changed that to object and selected the AT server.  This stopped the alerts and some of the discoveries are working.  But when I look in the logs the URLs its trying to hit are missing data, example, MonitorForRegistrationWebService.vbs : RE-CONSTRUCTED URL = [http://localhost:/tfs//Services/v1.0/Registration.asmx], noticed the // after TFS.  Its seem to be missing the project collection name.

I also noticed that the Default Project GUID is coming across as all zeros.  

In the monitoring panel the TFS Application Tier Servers view shows my single AT server and all icons show healthy

In the TFS Project Collections, it shows the single project collection I have as healthy but TFSBuildAgent and TFSBuildController are not monitored.  These exist on a different server from the AT.

The TFS Installation view shows a single installation as healthy except for TFS Build Server is not monitored

As you would expect by now the TFS Build Agent and TFS Build Controllers view are empty.  We don't have a Proxy setup.

I have not disabled any of the discoveries as I wanted to make sure that one or the other would discover the build servers.  No override MPs are in place.

Looking at the build controller and build server I don't see any TFS discoveries running in the event viewer.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 10:37 PM

Answers

• Well, we can't explain why today when I checked SCOM the build controller and build agents showed up.  I still see some issues in the Operations Manager event log but all items are showing healthy and discovered. 

I am not sure the quality of this MP.

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Friday, August 1, 2014 5:59 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you use below management pack to monitor TFS?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35773

I would like to suggest you check below links:

http://dotnet.dzone.com/articles/monitoring-tfs-2012-using-scom

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/24472041-1eb8-44d5-9dcc-6af2bba55c61/tfs-2010-mp-is-not-sending-successful-discovery-information-to-scom-console?forum=operationsmanagermgmtpacks

As when change TFS server, then no errors, so I would like to suggest you compare all TFS related settings. And please also check runas account for the management pack.

Regards, Yan Li

Friday, July 25, 2014 8:47 AM
  • We are using 2013 so I used this link to download the MP

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41696

I will dig in a bit and check the information in that second article. 

Friday, July 25, 2014 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

We are looking forward your update here.

Hope the link can be helpful for you!

Regards,

Yan Li

Regards, Yan Li

Monday, July 28, 2014 2:24 AM
  • I wasn't able to find anything in those links that helped.  I did find this article, and we are evaluating whether or not to run these delete commands against the DB.  Since we did a migration based upgrade we have some old data in the TF_Configuration table. I am not sure if this is what is causing the MP to not be successful.

http://johannblais.blogspot.com/2014/01/completely-remove-application-tier-from.html

Monday, July 28, 2014 3:42 PM
  • Well, we can't explain why today when I checked SCOM the build controller and build agents showed up.  I still see some issues in the Operations Manager event log but all items are showing healthy and discovered. 

I am not sure the quality of this MP.

• Marked as answer by stemo76 Friday, August 1, 2014 5:59 PM
    Friday, August 1, 2014 5:59 PM
  • I just installed this MP for my 2013 installation and I'm having the same issue.  Did it eventually sort itself out completely?  Or do you still get those warnings?

I think part of the problem might be the documentation.  It says "if after 20 minutes or more the discovery has not completed then check the troubleshooting section of this guide for further information on how to troubleshoot the issue."  I checked the parameters on all the discoveries and they run once every 24 hours.  There's always a chicken and egg issue with runas accounts because the first discovery will always not have the runas account since you have to assign it after the MP is imported.  So it makes sense things looked better the next day after the discoveries ran again.

I'm just curious if the other issues sort themselves out after that.  I guess I'll wait and see...

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:13 PM
  • I have never got this MP to fully work.  It seems the discoveries do work as far as Build machines, Controllers and App Tier. But the web services monitors are always in warning state.  It doesn't seem to build the URL correctly.

In the instructions there is one override that you need to put into place depending on the kind of setup you have.  did you complete that?

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:05 PM
  • I thought that was only for if you force SSL.  We don't so I thought it would be okay.  I'll dig back into the documentation.  It hasn't discovered build controllers yet (maybe not enough time?) but it did discover project collections.  However, none of the monitors are running on the collections.  No warnings, no errors, nothing.  They are just empty-circles as if they have never been run.

I poked around with the vbs scripts and they work fine as long as the argument given to them for the URL is correct.  But, like you said, it seems the logic inside the MP for passing the URL is incorrect.

The runas distribution problem is very annoying.  I haven't dug into the discovery scripts, but I'm guessing the discovery is trying to runas, which it should not do.

Do you have any idea if TFS 2015 MP is any better?  We will be upgrading later this year.  I'm getting server and application tier perspective health, just nothing granular, like individual project collection issues.  I can live with that if it's better in TFS 2015. 

I might burn a support case on this.  I just hate doing it because you have to go through hours and hours of some dumb low level tech who knows no more about the MP than you do until they finally escalate.  Ugh.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:21 PM
  • I don't know about 2015, we haven't moved to that version yet. We had a TFS health check and I brought up this problem but they blew it off told us to contact SCOM support. I kinda dropped the ball after that. Good luck and if you find a solution to the misconfigured URLs I would love to hear it. I searched the web for many days with no answers.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:36 PM
  • The collections are showing green now.  The web services are green too (hooray).  So I guess it was just waiting for discoveries to run again for me. 

How long did it take for build controllers to show up for you?  That section is still empty for me.  It's been over 24 hours.  Maybe it's a multi-day discovery process.  If so, the documentation that says "20 minutes" is incredibly misleading.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Glad your is working better then mine. I don't recall how long it took, its been some time since we put this MP in.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:50 PM