none
UAG 2010 Update-2 endpoint components RRS feed

• Question

• I applied Update-2 to my standby UAG 2010 portal yesterday, and it seems now that anyone connecting to the updated portal has to re-install the Endpoint Components. However, they (the endpoint components) seem to be v4.0.0 on both the UAG 2010 Update-1 and Update-2 installations?

Updating the endpoint components is a problem as our users do not have administrator priviliege (as per microsoft recommendation) so can install the endpoint components themselves.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:59 AM

Answers

• Peter,

Have you tried to upgrade one of these non-admin laptops and failed to do so? I’m asking since, to the best of my knowledge (and I admit I have not tried it myself), admin rights are not required in order to update the UAG Client Components from one UAG version to the next.

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Ran [MSFT] Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Update 2 does in fact update the UAG Endpoint Components, so this is why users connecting to your updated UAG server are asked to re-install their Endpoint Components.

The components version number changes too, and you can see it by checking some of the components file numbers, or in IE 8, by checking Tools -> Options -> Programs -> Manage add-ons -> Downloaded Controls. For UAG RTM, you should see Forefront UAG endpoint components version 4.0.1101.0, for UAG Update 1 components you should see version 4.0.1152.100, while for UAG Update 2 components you should see version 4.0.1269.200. You probably have looked at “Uninstall a program”.

Regards.

-Ran

-Ran
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:01 AM
  • aah ok.

Couple of things then to feedback:-

Firstly, the UAG endpoint components report the same version number (v4.0.0) from "programs and features" which is a little confusing, when they are actually updated in the Update-2 release.

Secondly, if you have followed the MS advice and gone for least privilege for end users, sent laptops out into the field with just 'user' privilege, instead of 'admin' rights, then the users can't apply the new endpoint components themselves. So we will have to recall all our laptops in order to apply update-2 (or is there another way?)

regards,

Peter

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 10:29 AM
  • Peter,

Have you tried to upgrade one of these non-admin laptops and failed to do so? I’m asking since, to the best of my knowledge (and I admit I have not tried it myself), admin rights are not required in order to update the UAG Client Components from one UAG version to the next.

-Ran
    • Proposed as answer by Ran [MSFT] Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Kilner Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Having tested this, I can confirm that endpoints running UAG Update 1 / v4.0.1152.100 *can* upgrade themselves to Update 2 / v4.0.1269.200 when logged in with only user privilege (ie: non-admin)

Thanks,

Peter

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Awesome, thanks for the update.
    -Ran
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Correct, I believe there is a specific UAG Component Management object to cater for this scenario:

"The Forefront UAG Component Manager ActiveX object installs the other client components. For initial online installation of Forefront UAG Component Manager, administrator privileges are required on the client endpoint."

Cheers

JJ

Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Friday, October 15, 2010 11:51 AM