Aggrevated with WSUS for a month now - still not working RRS feed

• Question

• You name it, I've tried it. Got the latest WSUS installed on Server2012R2 and about a month ago, for no apparent reason, workstations no longer report to the WSUS server. I've been through these forums and elsewhere on the Internet trying different things, and nothing has changed the fact that workstations will not report to the WSUS server. I've even uninstalled WSUS, removed all traces of it  from the hard drive and the registry, and reinstall it. No change. I get get from the windows update site online with no issues. but not from the WSUS server. There is one error message I'm getting for which I find nothing on it, so I don't even know why it occurs.

When I run the Windows Update diag tool on a workstation, everything is "fixed" except for this entry:

Windows Update Error 0x80072EFD (<date> T <time>)    NOT FIXED

Any takers out there? Yes, I can connect to http://server:8530/SelfUpdate/wuident.cab and download it with no issues.

Sunday, June 5, 2016 6:56 PM

Answers

• We can close this thread now. After having spent in excess of 30 minutes typing up my last reply, only to have MS decide it was spam and delete it, the irritation factor was just to much. So this 2012R2 server is in the process of being completed wiped clean as I type this.

However, once I get this one reloaded, installed and all workstations rejoined to the domain and the software reinstalled, my next client with this same exact issue that started at the same exact time (to the minute) as the prior two, is an SBS2011 domain. but it'll be at least a week before I can even get to it, if not longer.

Carl

So long as MS continues to produce an unreliable product, I'll be able to feed my family.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:47 AM

All replies

• I found a checksurlog file in the diag tool, and the output.txt file within it has some information that may help. I don't know how though.

Proxy :    Direct access (no proxy server).
    Last Installed Update :Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.223.795.0),06/05/2016 16:20:01
    Last Displayed Message :2016-06-05 14:52:55:562  692 bdc Agent WARNING: Failed to add and register service 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d to the data store 0x80240031
    Language settings :en-US
    bits : Running
    wuauserv : Running
    Domain :<removed before posting>
    Windows Update Agent Version :7.6.7601.19161
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional  SP: 1
    CPU Type : x64
    OS Architecture :64-bit

Sunday, June 5, 2016 7:08 PM
  • You name it, I've tried it. Got the latest WSUS installed on Server2012R2 and about a month ago, for no apparent reason, workstations no longer report to the WSUS server. I've been through these forums and elsewhere on the Internet trying different things, and nothing has changed the fact that workstations will not report to the WSUS server. I've even uninstalled WSUS, removed all traces of it  from the hard drive and the registry, and reinstall it. No change. I get get from the windows update site online with no issues. but not from the WSUS server. There is one error message I'm getting for which I find nothing on it, so I don't even know why it occurs.

When I run the Windows Update diag tool on a workstation, everything is "fixed" except for this entry:

Windows Update Error 0x80072EFD (<date> T <time>)    NOT FIXED

Any takers out there? Yes, I can connect to http://server:8530/SelfUpdate/wuident.cab and download it with no issues.

A few of your posts recently about WSUS suggest various different issues, but it's not clear if they are all related to the same implementation or different implementations. It's also not terribly clear what you've started with, what you've done, nor where you're at right now.

So lets start with this:

- has this implementation (on this server) ever actually worked correctly?
    - is the server itself reporting WSUS health-check issues in the Windows event logs?
    - is the server itself reporting general errors/warnings in the Windows event logs?
    - is the server itself showing errors or warnings or backlogs in the WSUS console?
    - what other roles/features/websites are installed on this WS2012R2?
    - please provide an example of a client windowsupdate.log file

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Sunday, June 5, 2016 9:23 PM
  • What a PITA. I've posted a tone of stuff for you to review, and now my account is "under review for possible spam". I'm not typing all that stuff again. If it doesn't appear here shortly, then I'm done with this and I quit.
    Monday, June 6, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi Carl1959,

I remember several posts that created by you, but as DonPick pointed out that we do not exactly understand your current situation.

I'll list some general troubleshooting steps to solve the issue that client do not report to the WSUS server for your reference:

On WSUS server:

1. Run server cleanup wizard and reindex WSUS database;

2. Check if you have install KB3159706, if yes, we need to do manual steps to finish the installation;

3. Check WSUS event log, if there are errors;

On WSUS clients:

1. Check if GPO settings are applied correctly, also check related registry keys;

2. Reset windows update component;

3. Rename SoftwareDistribution folder;

4. Reset SusClientID;

5. Check DNS settings, verify the client can resolve the WSUS server's FQDN;

6. Check network connection and firewall;

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 6, 2016 5:03 AM
  • We can close this thread now. After having spent in excess of 30 minutes typing up my last reply, only to have MS decide it was spam and delete it, the irritation factor was just to much. So this 2012R2 server is in the process of being completed wiped clean as I type this.

However, once I get this one reloaded, installed and all workstations rejoined to the domain and the software reinstalled, my next client with this same exact issue that started at the same exact time (to the minute) as the prior two, is an SBS2011 domain. but it'll be at least a week before I can even get to it, if not longer.

Carl

So long as MS continues to produce an unreliable product, I'll be able to feed my family.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:47 AM