USB HD Drives Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All,

I'm hoping you can solve me a problem!

I have just bought a Lacie portable HD USB.  When I plug it it, Vista 64 Bit attempts to install drivers and failed saying access denied.

I've scoped the net and a lot of people having this problem have said trying removing INFCache.1 from the system, uninstalling the device and rebooting the computer, but i've had no success Sad

I installed all the latest drivers and bios for my motherboard and then something interesting happened.  My CD ROM combi drive runs from an IDE controller based on the mboard that had it's driver updated.  When I checked device manager again, my CD-ROM drive now had a yellow triangle over it saying drivers are access denied! (Along with my new USB HD)  I repeated the infcache.1 procedure and that fixed the CD-ROM drive but not the USB HD.  Later I uninstalled my GFX card driver and the same thing happened again.  It's like something is stopping me from installing new devices.  I'm very confused on how to fix this, but I do need to as the HD is being use to transport work projects.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks

Burgy
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Burgy,

Please try to install the driver in Clean Boot.

If the issue still persists, please check following KB article:

You can access removable media on a Windows Server 2008-based computer even when the "All Removable Storage classes: Deny all Access" Group Policy object is enabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947294

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Burgy,

Please try to install the driver in Clean Boot.

If the issue still persists, please check following KB article:

You can access removable media on a Windows Server 2008-based computer even when the "All Removable Storage classes: Deny all Access" Group Policy object is enabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947294

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 9:16 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

I will Try the clean boot option and let you know.  FYI the enumerator service is already set to Automatic as per the article you posted.  If the clean boot doesn't work, do you have any other ideas?

It seems to be a fairly common problem, many people have post on tech forums all over the net about not being able to install driver for a USB device which is driverless (which is to say the drivers are already built into windows).

Thanks for the help so far.

Burgy
    • Proposed as answer by Sam HK Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:10 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:25 PM
  • Hi Burgy,

If the issue still persists, please collect the following log for me. Thank you for your cooperation.

C:\WINDOWS\INF\setupapi.dev.log

Please upload the file to the following link:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=7a6a5cc1-3b97-4229-94d5-5149dcd5a8b8

Password: [tgRFq7K2cC2T

I will do a further research on the problem once I get log.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:52 AM