Error when trying to protect office document RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I've set up AD RMS in my lab environment. When I try to protect a word document I get the following message

"No email address exists for the specified user in the Active Directory. Contact your administrator for further investigation."

Build is on a Server 2012 R2 DC. All default options, did not configure RMS besides first wizard, added cluster url to local intranet zone of client. client is running win 7 office 2016.

I searched online but could not find anything on this error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Friday, March 11, 2016 12:53 AM

All replies

• For each user account and group that you configure with AD RMS, you need to add an e-mail address and then assign the users to groups.
    Friday, April 22, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. The user does have an email address, I don't remember if I added them to a group. Is there additional configuration that needs to be done in AD RMS? I was going by the guide in Exchange 2013 Unleashed and I remember it saying I didn't have to do anything extra to protect a document manually. I will check tonight. Thanks
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Office lets you have multiple sign in accounts so you can be logged into the machine with an account that has an email attribute set, but not in Word.

Can you try with the Rights Management Sharing Application?

Install it and right-click the file to protect.

Friday, May 27, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Office lets you have multiple sign in accounts so you can be logged into the machine with an account that has an email attribute set, but not in Word.

Can you try with the Rights Management Sharing Application?

Install it and right-click the file to protect.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I installed the Rights Management sharing application but am receiving a similar error.

"The email address you are signing in with doesn't exist in your organization's directory. Contact the sender to send it to a different email address or contact your administrator to create an email address.

Error Code: 0x80040201"

The user definitely has an email address and it is showing in Word as well.

Thanks for the help

Sunday, May 29, 2016 7:30 PM