Exchange Server 2013 Monitoring MP (15.0.668.20) not detecting Mailbox count RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, been a while since i posted anything but...

The environment:
    Two AD sites \ physical sites.
    Greenfield SCOM 1801 installation, two Management Servers across two sites. Currently only has Server OS and latest Exch MPs installed, only Exchange servers are monitored currently.
    Two Exchange 2016 CU9 Mailbox servers per site.
    One Exchange 2016 CU9 Edge Transport server per site.

In the server summary dashboard view one of my Databases will not show mailbox counts, also the mailbox reports show nothing for one particular database.

I have got as far as manually running "MicrosoftExchangeCollectMBXStats.ps1" which returns no error. Creating the debug directory "C:\MicrosoftExchangeCollectMbxStats" as specified within the script does indeed populate the mbxststs_DataItemOut, mbxststs_DataItemOutSerialized and mbxststs_DataItemOutCompressed files ok, so the script successfully reads the database stats. amending the script a little more I can also see that it is able to iterate through the mailboxes and gets the count right (176 mailboxes in this particular database).

Looking in the Operations Manager Event log on the primary management server for the agent concerned reveals this:

EVENTID: 31551
    SOURCE: Health Service Modules
    GENERAL: 

Failed to store data in the Data Warehouse. The operation will be retried.
    Exception 'InvalidOperationException': The given value of type String from the data source cannot be converted to type nvarchar of the specified target column. 
    One or more workflows were affected by this.  
    Workflow name: Microsoft.Exchange.15.MailboxStatsSubscription.Rule 
    Instance name: MyManagementServer.fqdn 
    Instance ID: {CBB115BA-610E-232D-8F8F-B1C84D3EAF1C} 
    Management group: MyManagementGroup

From here I am a little stuck. I know there is an issue inputting the script results data into the DW because of a NVCHAR conversion issue (my money is on a column length overflow greater than 255 chars?)

Any more assistance would be amazing! I'm ok with SQL, but profiling this to find my actual issue is probably the next step and i'm stuck!

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Friday, July 6, 2018 11:39 AM

Answers

• Ok, found it myself;
    We had a legacy user (from back in the Exchange 2003 days) which had an email address "RawExternalEmailAddress" attribute on their mailbox which Exchange was no longer authoritative for. Don't ask me how this attribute got set, or why it lingered on when the old domain was removed from Exchange many, many years ago...

The field was waaaaay under 256 characters, but the returned message when the script hit that particular mailbox was not.

Running get-mailbox | where-object { $_.EmailAddresses.ProxyAddressString.ToCharArray().Length -ge 1024 } | foreach-object {write-host “$_”} would not return this particular user's account.

As soon as the above attribute was fixed by running the below command, mailbox data populated in SCOM within 15 minutes!

get-mailbox some.username | set-mailbox -attributestoclear RawExternalEmailAddress

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click Vote as Helpful, if it answered your question, please click Mark as Answer. I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences. Emma's Baby Diary About Me

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:21 AM

All replies

• It is a known issue and you are right about it's cause.

Read more technical details and possible workarounds here

Friday, July 6, 2018 11:45 AM
  • I had read that article before posting and it was indeed an issue, but not *THE* issue...
    I had one mailbox which had excessive numbers of proxySMTPAddresses. This mailbox was cleared down on Friday but i'm still seeing the alert registered and a lack of mailboxes for one Database...

It must be another column in the Exchange2013.MailboxStatsStaging or Exchange2013.MailboxProperties_ tables

So back to my original question; How can I troubleshoot this at the DW DB level or workflow level to identify WHICH column is causing the the string to nvchar conversion failure?

Monday, July 9, 2018 11:13 AM
  • Ok, found it myself;
    We had a legacy user (from back in the Exchange 2003 days) which had an email address "RawExternalEmailAddress" attribute on their mailbox which Exchange was no longer authoritative for. Don't ask me how this attribute got set, or why it lingered on when the old domain was removed from Exchange many, many years ago...

The field was waaaaay under 256 characters, but the returned message when the script hit that particular mailbox was not.

Running get-mailbox | where-object { $_.EmailAddresses.ProxyAddressString.ToCharArray().Length -ge 1024 } | foreach-object {write-host “$_”} would not return this particular user's account.

As soon as the above attribute was fixed by running the below command, mailbox data populated in SCOM within 15 minutes!

get-mailbox some.username | set-mailbox -attributestoclear RawExternalEmailAddress

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Excellent! thanks for sharing.

Can you mark the post as answered please?

Thanks!

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:31 AM